Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Woodcote have first win of the season

AN entertaining match at Faraday Road saw WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW snatch victory at the death to record their first win of the season against NEWBURY.

AN entertaining match at Faraday Road saw WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW snatch victory at the death to record their first win of the season against NEWBURY.

The visitors dominated the first half going in 3-1 up by half-time.

Tommy Chapman capitalised on a mistake by the home keeper to give Woodcote an early lead.

Andy Bullett made it 2-0 after 35 minutes, rifling into the top corner after Newbury had failed to clear.

Newbury quickly reduced the deficit from a set-piece free-kick, but on 39 minutes Jim Hancock’s powerful header from Mike Butcher’s corner made it 3-1. The second half was totally different, with Newbury dominating most of the action, despite Woodcote spurning three goal-scoring opportunities.

On 48 minutes, Newbury scored with a superb free kick from 25 yards.

Then, on 68 minutes Chris Pilling was penalised for handball and the penalty was converted for 3-3.

Both sides had opportunities to score in the final 20 minutes of the game and Kane Roberts had to be at his best again on a couple of occasions.

With three minutes remaining, Woodcote manager Pete McAlister sent on substitute, Jonny Summers and it was to prove decisive as he scored the winner.

Mike Butcher hit a great ball over the defence on the right hand side, Andy Bullett cleverly found Ben Rusher who split the defence with a perfect pass which put Summers in the clear to slide the ball into the net.

There was barely time for Newbury to launch an attack before it was all over, the final score standing at 4-3 to Woodcote.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW travelled to TAPLOW on Saturday for their Thames Valley Premier Division match with a squad depleted by injuries and holidays, but with some confidence.

They started brightly on a difficult pitch and took the lead on four minutes when a Dave Givens long throw found its way to Ben Rusher who stabbed home from six yards.

A minute later it was 2-0, the in-form Johnny Summers latching onto a Jake Dillon through-ball, and calmly slotting home past the oncoming keeper.

Then a minor scuffle between James Murdoch (Taplow) and Tommy Chapman saw both players red-carded before the stroke of half time.

After the break,Woodcote put the game out of sight with two quick goals: firstly Dillon slotted home from a Givens pass and then he got his second when the excellent Rusher played him in one-on-one with the keeper and he coolly slotted home for 4-0.

After 65 minutes Dillon and Summers were replaced with Toby Nowell and Andy Taylor.

On 75 minutes the Woodcote defence switched off and Taplow reduced the arrears.

That goal gave Taplow a little spark and they started to push forward, which in turn left spaces in their defence which allowed substitute Nowell to help himself to a hat-trick in the final five minutes.

First Andy Taylor finally beat the offside trap and his low cross to the far post was easily converted by Toby Nowell for 5-1.

Two minutes later Nowell grabbed his second when he latched on to a long Kane Roberts goal-kick and passed the ball beyond the keeper when through one-on-one.

Nowell completed his treble on 89 minutes when he headed home Givens’ inviting cross, with Woodcote finishing 7-1 winners.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down 3-1 away to league-leaders MARLOW.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say