Monday, 15 October 2018

Woodcote/Stoke Row maintain unbeaten record

TWO goals in injury time at the end of each half ensured WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW

TWO goals in injury time at the end of each half ensured WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW secured another three points as their impressive undefeated start to their Premier Division season continued on Saturday with a 2-0 home win against BERKS COUNTY.

The hosts dominated the game for long periods, but a combination of poor finishing, good goalkeeping by the visiting keeper and last-ditch defending made hard work of the win.

Woodcote attacked from the start, but the first real chance fell to the visitors with a snap-shot well saved by Kane Roberts after eight minutes. Five minutes later, Jonny Summers was put through and the keeper made an impressive save from point blank range.

The home side were now rampant and Summers, Toby Nowell and Ben Rusher all had chances to break the deadlock in the first half hour. The Berks County defence rode their luck until the referee awarded a penalty for a clumsy challenge on Mike Hancock. Toby Nowell stepped-up to take the kick but the keeper guessed right to pull off a fine save.

As the half entered injury time Woodcote secured the breakthrough with Mike Hancock heading home a corner.

In the second half Jim Hancock went close with a header from Gareth Evans’ free kick before Andy Bullett hit the upright with a powerful shot. The same player soon brought a fine save from the keeper with a cross-shot. Jonny Summers also had a couple of good chances in one-on-one situations with the keeper, but failed to hit the target on both occasions.

On 70 minutes Berks County appeared to have been given a lifeline when a reckless tackle by Dave Givens, already cautioned in the first half, saw the referee produce a red card.

The visitors failed to exploit their numerical advantage, creating few anxious moments for the home defence.

As the match entered injury time Berks County pushed forward and a long ball downfield was flicked on by Jim Hancock into the path of Jonny Summers who fired home his side’s second goal of the afternoon to wrap up the points.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED drew 2-2 at Bishopswood against COOKHAM DEAN.

The hosts took the lead when Chris Read, in his first appearance of the season, controlled the ball on the edge of the area and volleyed into the top corner.

Cookham found their way back into the game when Mark Sumner was adjudged to have pulled down the Cookham striker in the box and the subsequent penalty was converted.

Cookham took the lead in the second half when a mishit cross dribbled past a couple of United defenders before being scrambled into the back of the net. The hosts equalised when good work from Tom Candish resulted in a squared ball to Ricky Sidhu who slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

WARGRAVE recorded their first Division 2 win of the season as they triumphed 2-1 away at IMAAN.

The hosts took the lead three minutes into the second half but Wargrave equalised two minutes later with a Stuart Moss penalty.

Wargrave created plenty of chances and hit the woodwork several times before Moss played in Michael Few who controlled the ball in the box and slotted home with his left foot for the winner five minutes from time.

A depleted WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES side crashed to a 6-0 defeat away to league leaders WESTWOOD UNITED RESERVES in a match that saw Paul Knox go closest to scoring for the visitors.

GORING UNITED also suffered a heavy defeat as they crashed 5-0 away to MARLOW UNITED RESERVES.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES went down to a 4-1 defeat away to THEALE in Division 4.

The hosts scored early in the game to go 1-0 up. United had the majority of possession in the first half but were unable to take their chances in front of goal.

Theale started the second half stronger and went into a 3-0 lead before Michael Hunt pulled a goal back for the visitors. Theale then went on to score once more to complete the scoreline.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED RESERVES suffered an 8-0 defeat at home to TDC KNIGHTS.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say