Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Goal earns 10-man United the lions share

HOST side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW suffered their first Premier Division defeat of the season following a lack-lustre performance against ALDERMASTON

HOST side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW suffered their first Premier Division defeat of the season following a lack-lustre performance against ALDERMASTON last Saturday.

The game was just two minutes old when the visitors took the lead with a header following a long throw that had left Kane Roberts in the Woodcote goal stranded.

The home side took time to settle but once they began to attack Toby Nowell was thwarted by a point-blank save and Mike Hancock headed wide after being well placed.

On 24 minutes Aldermaston made it 2-0 with a strike from the edge of the box. At the other end, good chances came and went with no goals to show due to a combination of good saves, shots off target and poor decision-making by the strikers.

Woodcote started the second half with more purpose and after 55 minutes Nowell had the ball in the net, but the goal was ruled out for a handball by Jonny Summers in the build-up.

Ben Rusher and Summers then saw their goalbound efforts blocked in the same attack before Mike Hancock and Nowell both went close, the latter again being thwarted by the keeper.

Aldermaston were content to soak up the pressure and play on the break and this tactic produced rewards as on 80 minutes they made it 3-0 when a through ball eluded the Woodcote defence and, although Roberts blocked the first shot, the ball ran free for the striker to stroke the ball into the empty net. Two minutes later Nowell had the ball in the net but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Nowell, the league’s leading goalscorer last season, was not to be denied as he supplied the finish, after Andy Bullett’s shot cannoned into his path off a defender, to make it 3-1 on the stroke of full time.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to a 2-0 defeat at home to MORTIMER.

United defended well for the first hour, keeping a lively Mortimer front line at bay. Compton made some good saves while debutant Sam Nowell looked composed at centre back and Rob Singer looked solid in his first game of the season.

Mortimer finally broke the deadlock when a set piece was only half cleared and when the ball was squared back into the box, Mortimer’s midfielder was on hand to tap it in.

United failed to conjure up many clear cut opportunities to get back into the game and conceded a second in injury time as a long ball from the Mortimer keeper was flicked on to allow Mortimer’s striker to finish when one-on-one with the keeper.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES went down 3-0 away to ELDON CELTIC. The newly-promoted visitors, still depleted by injuries and holidays, saw Andy Taylor have a penalty saved by the home keeper.

GORING UNITED picked up a point as they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to IMAAN. Matthew Ploszynski and Quentin Ham were the scorers for the hosts.

WARGRAVE had a day to forget as they were thrashed 6-1 at home to league leaders WESTWOOD UNITED RESERVES.

WARGRAVE RESERVES produced a better result as they beat TWYFORD AND RUSCOMBE 2-0 in their Division 3 clash.

A depleted ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES side, who played the whole match with just 10 men, secured a point in their 2-2 Division 4 draw at BERKS COUNTY RESERVES.

United were caught out early on by a long ball over the top, then again on the break after 30 minutes to go 2-0 down.

Despite this setback United eventually pulled a goal back when Berks County’s goalkeeper fumbled a long throw into his own goal.

United threw players forward in the hunt for an equaliser and it arrived when captain Billy Roberts pounced on a loose ball to fire home in the last minute of the match.

In Division 5 GORING UNITED RESERVES went down to a 4-3 defeat away at TAPLOW UNITED A. Tristan Allen, Jonathan Hurrell and Jamie Taylor were the scorers for the visitors.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say