Friday, 19 October 2018

Knox is spot on in derby triumph

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW were rarely in trouble at Scours Lane as they ran out 4-1

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW were rarely in trouble at Scours Lane as they ran out 4-1 Premier Division winners against HIGHMOOR/IBIS.

The visitors attacked from the start and Jonny Summers had a good chance to open the account but shot over from Toby Nowell’s cross.

After 10 minutes a Ben Rusher free kick beat the keeper but rebounded off the cross bar and was scrambled away but in the ensuing attack a good pull back from Nowell was finished by in-form Summers to put the visitors 1-0 up.

A number of chances was created throughout the half without any increase in the score. Highmoor had a couple of half chances but Kane Roberts saved one comfortably and Andy Taylor made a good block to deny the home side.

In the final action of the half the ball fell to Jonny Summers three times but his first two efforts were blocked and he fired the third one over the bar.

The second half started more evenly but after 55 minutes Woodcote could have increased their lead when the home keeper spilled Andy Bullett’s lob. Nowell was deceived by the bounce of the loose ball and failed to make contact.

Five minutes later the score was 2-0 when Jake Dillon produced a fine finish from a narrow angle after a good cross from skipper Bullett.

After 65 minutes a Highmoor player talked his way to a yellow card and within a minute saw red as he showed more dissent to the referee. This seemed to spur Highmoor on and they pulled one back after the defence failed to cut out a long ball.

Woodcote’s anxiety was short-lived as substitute James Worsfold headed home unopposed on 80 minutes from another pinpoint cross from Bullett.

Highmoor threw everything into attack after this and might have narrowed the gap but for two last-ditch tackles from Sam Green.

With the game entering time added on Nowell fired home from close range after a good cross from Summers.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to a 3-2 defeat at Bishopswood against WOODLEY UNITED RESERVES.

Rotherfield took the lead when Paddy Gardner ran on to a long ball from Cuthbert and put it under the keeper when in a one-on-one situation. Woodley equalised soon afterwards with a strike from outside the area. The hosts took the lead again when Pablo Sancho played Gardner through once again and he finished when one-on-one.

Woodley equalised soon after when their centre midfielder rifled home another goal from outside the box.

The visitors took the lead when they played a free kick into box and it was headed home from four yards out.

Rotherifled keeper Wildish saved a penalty late in the game for the hosts.

In Division 2 hosts WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES opened their account for the season with a 1-0 home derby win against GORING UNITED.

Paul Knox’s first half penalty secured the points in a game that saw Woodcote/Stoke Row have the majority of the game.

SONNING picked up their first point of the season as they drew 1-1 at home to IMAAN. Clive Akem-Che was on target for the hosts.

WARGRAVE had a weekend to forget as they crashed to a 9-0 defeat away to ELDON CELTIC. In Division 3 WARGRAVE RESERVES also suffered a 9-0 defeat in their home match with WHITE EAGLES.


The hosts took the lead from the penalty spot before Simon Boswell equalised with a 30-yard strike for United.

Maidenhead took the lead again when their midfielder fired home from 30 yards and just before half-time the hosts made it 3-1.

The Magpies extended their lead midway through the second half before adding two further goals late on to complete the rout.

In Division 5 GORING UNITED RESERVES went down to a 2-0 defeat at home to WOODLEY UNITED B.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say