Saturday, 15 December 2018

Woodcote suffer extra time heartache

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW crashed out of the Senior Cup after an extra-time defeat at MARLOW

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW crashed out of the Senior Cup after an extra-time defeat at MARLOW UNITED.

Marlow started the livelier of the two sides as they dominated the first period creating several opportunities but finding themselves just a goal to the good at half-time.

Jo Da Silva put the hosts ahead after 14 minutes. Woodcote hit back on 35 minutes as the United defence failed to deal with a long clearance which was crossed in by Johnny Summers from the right and Jake Dillon headed home off the far post.

Marlow struck back almost immediately as Mckie’s clearance found Thomas free and he beat a defender before striking the ball past Roberts in the Woodcote goal.

Woodcote took command in the second half as they pressed for the equaliser. Jake Dillon was put through on 59 minutes but fired wide and Marlow were grateful to keeper Akerman who pulled off several fine saves as the pressure mounted.

Woodcote finally saw their dominance rewarded on 75 minutes as Dillon was again unmarked from a corner and headed home the equaliser.

Two minutes later Summers broke the offside trap and went one-on-one with the keeper who pulled off a good save. Marlow almost snatched the lead on 85 minutes as Da Silva’s cross was met by Mason on the edge of the six yard box, his header only finding keeper Roberts who saved on the line.

In extra time Marlow gained two early corners with Woodcote replying with two of their own as both teams looked to take the lead. It was Marlow who retook the lead on 98 minutes when Nichol provided the flicked header to send Bushay clear in the area and the winger slid home the ball.

The game became scrappy in the second period of extra time as Akerman yet again came to United’s rescue turning Andy Taylor’s volley over the bar on 107 minutes while at the other end Mason saw his header cleared off the line.

With time running out Higley was sent off for picking up his second yellow card of the match.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED crashed out of the tournament after going down 3-2 at Bishopswood against AFC ALDERMASTON.

The hosts got off to a bad start as they lost possession in midfield from a throw-in and Aldermaston punished them for the mistake with some good forward play that resulted in the opening goal.

United went close when Mark Sumner’s left-footed snapshot in the box was parried by the keeper following a scrappy corner. The hosts got themselves back in the game when left back Jordan Cuthbert found himself in the right wing position and crossed for Aaron Attfield to tap in his third goal in two games.

The visitors hit back immediately as United were dispossessed again in midfield which resulted in Aldermaston making it 2-1. The second half started badly for the hosts as Aldermaston extended their lead after five minutes when they bundled the ball from from a cross.

At this point Simon Frost was introduced and he made a big impact as United dominated the rest of the half. Rotherfield pulled a goal back when Frost headed in from a Ricky Sidhu corner after a string of set pieces had put the pressure on the visitors.

United continued to rally and went close with a Darren Ritchie free kick that hit the crossbar while Patrick Gardner ran through only to see his shot parried by the keeper.

WARGRAVE crashed out of the Intermediate Cup after going down 5-1 at home to SRCC.

With the first half being evenly contested the visitors took the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Wargrave captain George Stagg, who injured his knee towards the end of the half, had to leave the field at the start of the second half leaving the hosts with just 10 players for 40 minutes.

SRCC took advantage of their extra player as they raced into a 3-0 lead. Wargrave pulled a goal back from an individual goal from Will Stagg who got in between the two centre backs and bent the ball around the keeper from the edge of the box.

Wargrave pushed to try and get back into the game and created several chances but ran out of steam as the visitors netted twice more in stoppage time.

Toby Briggs was on target while William Jaycock netted twice as GORING UNITED went out of the competition after losing 5-3 at home to UNITY RESERVES.

Elsewhere SONNING were thrashed 9-1 at Pound Lane against visiting side MARLOW UNITED RESERVES.

In the Junior Cup WARGRAVE RESERVES lost out 4-0 away to FC READING DONS.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say