Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Taplow United hit back to earn a share of the spoils

ROTHERFIELD UNITED were held to a 2-2 draw at Bishopswood against TAPLOW UNITED in the Premier

ROTHERFIELD UNITED were held to a 2-2 draw at Bishopswood against TAPLOW UNITED in the Premier Division.

Rotherfield started the game well and took the lead when Mark Sumner jinked past a Taplow defender in the box and cut the ball back for central midfield partner Simon Frost to stroke home into the top corner.

The hosts doubled their lead when Ed Gadd, who had been causing the fullback a lot of problems, was taken down in the box, after being threaded through by Colin Williams. Ricky Sidhu stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, sending the keeper the wrong way.

The hosts continued to have the ascendancy but couldn’t increase the lead and were made to pay when full back Guy Bickerton misplaced a pass which the Taplow striker latched on to and beat Wildish.

In the second half Rotherfield couldn’t maintain their possession football but did mount pressure on the Taplow goal through a series of set pieces. Sumner found himself in space to shoot, only to see his standing leg make the first connection and trickled a shot into the keeper’s arms.

Taplow’s attacking play started to pick holes in the defence which remained solid until the sending off of Bickerton which changed the game. A quick attack from Taplow and a failed offside trap saw their striker clean through on goal, Bickerton did well to get within tackling distance of the striker, but only managed to connect with a player rather than the ball, and he was sent straight off.

The resulting free kick was missed and Rotherfield continued to keep Taplow at bay until five minutes from time when Wildish could only parry a shot from the edge of the box and didn’t reach the rebound before the Taplow striker who equalised.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES eased their relegation fears as they thrashed hosts SONNING 10-0 at Pound Lane.

Two goals each were scored by Adam Burgess, James Elderton and Andy Taylor while Jonny Clark, Will Macdonald, Dave Rook and an own goal made up the remaining four.

Ed Ardill was on target for GORING UNITED as they picked up a point from their 1-1 home clash with ASHRIDGE PARK.

Elsewhere in the division WARGRAVE went down to a 3-2 defeat at home to BARKHAM ATHLETIC.

The bottom two sides in Division 3 came away with a point apiece as hosts TWYFORD AND RUSCOMBE drew 0-0 at home to WARGRAVE RESERVES.

GORING UNITED RESERVES left HURST A empty handed as they lost out in a 10-goal thriller in Division 5 in a match that saw each team have a player sent off for picking up two yellow cards.

Jamie Taylor scored a hat-trick and Jonathan Nicholas was on target as the visitors lost 6-4 in a match that saw Daniel Carter red carded for United.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say