Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Godwin receives marching orders as Red Kites are held

HENLEY TOWN’S four-match Hellenic League Division 1 East winning run came to an end on Saturday as they

HENLEY TOWN’S four-match Hellenic League Division 1 East winning run came to an end on Saturday as they were held to a draw at home to Holyport.

The Red Kites almost went a goal behind in the first minute when Holyport forward Rake was put through on goal and his early shot just cleared the home crossbar with goalkeeper Dimitrios Kyriatzis stranded.

Once Henley settled down and got a foothold on the game they created numerous corners and crosses but still found themselves without a goal going into the break.

Holyport were the first to break the deadlock after 50 minutes when a failed clearance enabled them to find winger Atterell in space in the box and he showed good composure to pick his place in the Henley net.

The visitors’ lead only lasted nine minutes as Henley skipper Richard Thomas rallied his side. The Red Kites equalised after a Grant Kemp free kick into the box found Thomas and his looping header dropped under the Holyport crossbar and into the net after keeper Bradley failed to clear. Another failed clearance from Henley allowed Holyport to restore their lead once again as Rake scored into an empty net.

Henley were rattled by this and within five minutes midfielder Asa Povey scored his third goal in three games to equalise. Povey collected a loose ball on the edge of the box and his left footed strike found its way past a crowd of players into the net.

Both sides went for the winner in the remainder of the game. Substitute Matthew Godwin went close to winning it for the hosts when his bullet header hit one of his own players on the Holyport goal line.

Soon after, having only been on the pitch for 13 minutes, Godwin was sent off near following a mistimed challenge on a Holyport defender.

Henley Town: Kyriatzis, Thomson-Wheeler, Goddard, Thomas, Baxter (Malone, 45 mins), Nunn, Kemp, Povey, Bennett, Clark, Tye (Godwin, 75 mins).

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say