Saturday, 15 December 2018

Borg’s extra time header secures Stars place in last eight of cup

AFC HENLEY STARS U17s continued their 10-game unbeaten league and cup run with a 3-2 win against BRAY

AFC HENLEY STARS U17s continued their 10-game unbeaten league and cup run with a 3-2 win against BRAY U17s last Saturday to secure a place in the quarter-finals of the East Berks Youth U18 Cup.

After knocking out one first division team in the last round the stars moved into the quarter finals at the expense of another side in the top tier.

With only 10 minutes on the clock George Strong’s tap in after good work by Sam Kelly set the Stars on course for another upset. The hosts doubled their tally 15 minutes later with a goal by Scott Brown who turned his defender before firing into the top corner.

The second half started with the Stars dominating and continuing to create chances but a third goal eluded them as Bray started to get back in the game.

With a rare attack Bray were awarded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and from the resulting kick the ball cannoned off the post and was scrambled over the line.

With 15 minutes remaining Bray scored an equaliser from a corner to take that match into extra time.

The Stars, who have had a good work ethic built around their energetic squad this season, grabbed the winner when Charlie Borg headed home from a corner.

In the quarter-final Henley Stars face Hearts of Teddlothian from Twickenham at home on January 23.,

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U13s crashed out of the cup as they suffered their second consecutive defeat as they went down 7-2 at home to TEDDINGTON TIGERS U13s.

Teddington dominated the early stages and took an early lead from a goalmouth scramble closely followed by a second with a fine strike nestling into the top corner.

Henley’s Justus Larter beat the Teddington defence to pull a goal back for the Hurricanes. With good passing play on the left hand side, Henley crossed to front man Jem McAllister, whose shot was palmed away by the impressive Teddington goalkkeeper.

Once again on the break, Teddington were able to increase their lead to go in at half-time 3-1 up.

More blistering runs from Teddington in the second half, saw them further extend their lead but Henley were able to snatch a goal as McAllister showed his skill and finishing after winding his way through the Teddington defence.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say