Monday, 15 October 2018

Cashin-Murray shines as hosts put eight past Cookham Dean

Cashin-Murray shines as hosts put eight past Cookham Dean

HOSTS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW ran riot on Saturday as they put eight goals past COOKHAM DEAN in their Premier Division clash without reply.

There was little sign in the first 10 minutes of the goal deluge as Cookham looked the more lively of the two teams but once Woodcote took the lead there was no looking back.

On 12 minutes a good interchange between James Worsfold and Jonny Summers released the ball to man-of-the-match Adam Cashin-Murray. The midfielder still had a lot to do to get a shot away, but he shrugged-off two challenges to plant the ball wide of the keeper from the edge of the box for 1-0.

The home side dominated for the next 10 minutes and Jonny Summers could have doubled the lead when he was put through but shot wide as the keeper advanced.

On 28 minutes Woodcote made it 2-0 thanks to Summers’ perseverance. When a Dave Givens cross found its way into the six-yard area, Summers battled for the loose ball and in the confusion the ball ended in the net off a Cookham defender.

Seven minutes later the score was 3-0, thanks to a wonder strike from Frank Dillon who collected the ball just inside the Cookham half, spotted the keeper off his line, and chipped the ball over him from 45 yards.

Almost immediately Jake Tucker hit the upright with a powerful shot but it was 4-0 a minute later as Andy Bullett headed neatly home from Frank Dillon’s cross. Just before the break the score was 5-0 when Givens’ low free kick into a crowded area eluded everyone and found its way into the net.

The second half was only three minutes old when Woodcote made it 6-0. Givens’ corner was only half-cleared and Sam Green volleyed into the net. Cashin-Murray then had a good chance to add to the tally but missed the target, but he was not to be denied and quick thinking and a quick throw by Summers released the midfielder to hammer home past the hapless Cookham keeper for 7-0.

Cashin-Murray was unlucky not to complete his hat-trick in the 85th minute, but his charged-down shot rebounded for Frank Dillon to hammer home to complete the rout.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES’ recent revival was brought to an end by top-of-the-table FINCHAMPSTEAD RESERVES who eased to a 4-0 victory.

GORING UNITED recorded their third league win of the season as they triumphed 3-2 at TAPLOW UNITED RESERVES. Ed Ardill, Simon Bowman and Adam Williams were on target for the visitors. Elsewhere in the division WARGRAVE went down to a 3-2 defeat at home to BURGHFIELD. In Division 4 WARGRAVE RESERVES were held to a 3-3 draw at home to lowly THE HOP LEAF. Meanwhile GORING UNITED RESERVES suffered a 4-1 defeat at home to AFC CORINTHIANS A. Daniel Reynolds netted the only goal of the match for the hosts.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say