Thursday, 13 December 2018

Dillon wraps up scoring as Woodcote/ Stoke Row hit back to secure points

Dillon wraps up scoring as Woodcote/ Stoke Row hit back to secure points

HOME side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW ran out 3-1 winners at home to UNITY in their Premier Division clash last Saturday.

After a bright start by the home team, Unity took charge for the rest of the first-half and with better finishing they might have been four goals clear at the interval.

Between the eighth and 15th minutes Unity had a purple patch. First, a forward beat Kane Roberts to a through ball and looked certain to score, but he somehow allowed the defence to scramble clear. Next Andy Bullett’s attempted back pass from 30 yards put the defence in trouble. Darren Russell tried to head back to his keeper but again Unity got possession and this time the chip over Roberts just cleared the bar with the goal gaping.

Two minutes later danger threatened again from a free-kick, but again the shot was wide. Another two minutes on and a point-blank save by Roberts kept the clean sheet intact and on 15 minutes a good Unity attack saw yet another shot placed wide.

Unity stuck to their game plan of allowing Woodcote no time on the ball, but the hosts did mount the occasional attack and Andy Bullett, Adam Cashin-Murray and Jonny Summers all went close without the Unity keeper needing to save.

The nearest thing to a goal for Woodcote in the first half was Dave Givens’s shot from halfway which the keeper saved at the second attempt.

Unity began the second-half with another wave of attacks and were rewarded on 50 minutes with the game’s first goal. A long ball eluded the home defence and the Unity forward scored with a neat chip over Roberts.

This reverse stung the home team into life and they scored an equaliser on 10 minutes. Mike Butcher’s lofted pass found James Worsfold, whose flick-on put Jonny Summers clear of the defence to score with a shot beyond the advancing keeper.

Five minutes later Frank Dillon scored to make it 2-1. Dillon exploited hesitancy at the back to nip between defender and keeper to tap into the empty goal.

After 70 minutes the scoring was completed when substitute Jake Dillon beat the offside trap and went through to plant the ball beyond the advancing keeper for 3-1.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED picked up a point as they drew 2-2 at TAPLOW UNITED.

The hosts took the lead when Rotherfield goalkeeper Wildish misjudged a cross in the low sun and the Taplow striker finished neatly at the back post.

Rotherfield equalised when a long throw from Tuney was flicked on at the front post by Guy Bickerton, rebounded off the back post and Mark Sumner was on hand to tap in.

Taplow took the lead again when Mark Sumner failed to deal with a header from Taplow’s midfield and their striker ran through on keeper Wildish and nutmegged him.

Rotherfield got back into the game when a long ball from right back Gary Cousins caused trouble with the Taplow defence, Guy Bickerton came out better after a collision with the home keeper and centre back and he side footed it into an empty net.

Taplow piled on the pressure but Rotherfiled defended resolutely and held on for their sixth draw of the season.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES defeated previously undefeated WHITE EAGLES 5-1 away. Josh Glean netted a brace for the visitors while Ryan Brown, Adam Wheeler and Andy Taylor also got their names on the score sheet.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED drew 1-1 at home to MAIDENHEAD MAGPIES RESERVES.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES slipped to the foot of the Division 3 table after going down 5-1 at HARCHESTER HAWKS. Andrew De Burton was on target for the visitors.

In Division 4 WARGRAVE RESERVES went down 2-1 away to TAPLOW UNITED A. Daniel Tegg netted the visitors only goal of the game. Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED RESERVES slipped to second bottom in the table after going down 6-1 at HURST A.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say