Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Tidwell at the double on his debut

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had to settle for a point despite dominating their Premier Division match

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had to settle for a point despite dominating their Premier Division match at ALDERMASTON on Saturday.

On a heavy pitch the visitors were the quicker out of the blocks and in the first minute went close to taking the lead when James Worsfold hooked the ball over the bar from close range.

On six minutes Toby Nowell was put in the clear by Jonny Summers but the keeper saved bravely and needed treatment.

Pressure paid off after 10 minutes with Summers slotting past the advancing keeper after a neat flick header from James Worsfold had put him in the clear.

The goal fired the home side into life and after a period of pressure, some slack defending enabled them to make it 1-1 midway through the half.

As the interval approached Aldermaston almost took the lead but a shot from distance hit the upright and was cleared.

The second half was only five minutes old when Woodcote restored their lead. A cross from Chris Pilling was punched by the home keeper but fell straight to Nowell who scored in an open goal.

Woodcote/Stoke Row continued to dominate, but chances were few and far between as both sides struggled to keep going in the cloying mud.

Just when it seemed Woodcote would hold on for a the win, they lost the ball on the edge of the Aldermaston area. A swift counter saw the home team win a corner and an attacker rose unopposed to head in for 2-2.

Hosts TAPLOW UNITED ran out 3-1 winners at home to relegation rivals ROTHERFIELD UNITED.

The visitors started well and had the best of opening exchanges taking the lead from a Ricky Sidhu corner that Guy Bickerton headed in.

Rotherfield had further chances to extend the lead with Craig Sinclair and Colin Williams going close before the hosts levelled from close range following a corner.

Taplow took the lead when a long ball played over the top from the keeper which bounced over the defenders and their striker fired home from 30 yards.

In the second half the hosts caught Rotherfield with a counterattack to make it 3-1.

In Division 2 GORING UNITED were held to a 2-2 draw against high-flying ELDON CELTIC. Thomas Heslop and William Jaycock were on target for the hosts.

WARGRAVE picked up all three points as they ran out narrow 1-0 winners at SONNING.

The hosts had a goal ruled out for offside before centre back Ben Carter fired home a 40-yard effort five minutes before the interval. Earlier in the half the visitors had missed two good scoring opportunities from close range. Elsewhere in the division WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES defeated visitors ASHRIDGE PARK 2-0. Goals were scored by Ross Weatherstone and Tom Brownlow.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES beat relegation rivals THEALE 3-0 in Division 4 with all the goals coming in the second half.

Markland Tidswell netted twice for United on his debut while Michael Simpson was also on target.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say