Monday, 10 December 2018

Top-of-the-table Stars outshine Comets

AFC HENLEY STARS U17s continued their impressive run in the East Berks League with a 3-2 win against

AFC HENLEY STARS U17s continued their impressive run in the East Berks League with a 3-2 win against TWYFORD COMETS U17s at Harpsden on Saturday.

Henley, posting eight wins and two draws from their previous 10 league games, continued their unbeaten league run thanks to goals from Sam Kelly, Joey Newman and George Strong.

The first half was a midfield battle, with very few clear cut chances created by either team. Both keepers had little to do in the opening exchanges and it wasn’t until 35 minutes into the game that Twyford opened up the Henley defence on the left and a shot heading for the top corner was tipped over the bar from an in-form Storm Devoy-Read in the Henley goal.

In the second half both teams pushed for the early opening as George Strong went on a mazy run in the Twyford penalty area and was brought down. Captain Kelly scored the resulting spot kick to put the hosts into the lead.

Confidence grow in the Henley ranks and minutes later another run by Strong down the left and a cut back to Newman led to Henley’s second.

Soon after Strong ran down the left, beat three defenders before firing the Stars into a 3-0 lead.

Sam Booth, returning from injury, had a good game in midfield on the heavy pitch along with Wilson, Brown and Shimeld. Twyford pulled a goal back after a scramble in the area. Minutes later the visitors scored their second as midfielder Oliver Cowdry took a return pass and fired into the bottom corner.

In a tense ending to the game Henley held out to secure all three points and stay top of the Division 2 table.

AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U13s kick started their 2016 campaign with a home win over ASHRIDGE PARK ROYALS U13s.

The match began with both teams canceling each other out before Ashridge eventually took the lead.

Henley fought back and a midfield interchange between Abhishek Thapa and Adam Palmer put Sonny Martin clean through. The Ashridge keeper blocked Martin’s shot, but the striker followed up to stroke the ball home. In the second half the visitors won a penalty but man-of-the-match Tams kept the ball out, not only blocking but holding the firmly taken kick.

The hosts, pressing for a winner, couldn’t find a way past the well marshalled Ashridge defence but in the final moments the Hotspurs won a corner which was headed home by Phil Hayes for the winning goal.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say