Saturday, 20 October 2018

Summers’ strike proves decisive

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had the edge as they ran out 1-0 winners away at BERKS COUNTY

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had the edge as they ran out 1-0 winners away at BERKS COUNTY in the Premier Division last Saturday.

The match was saved from being postponed as it was switched to Bracknell Leisure Centre and played on the 4G pitch.

Both teams went close in the early stages before the deadlock was broken in the 12th minute. Jake Dillon got away from his marker on the right and his low cross was converted by Jonny Summers from close-range.

The home went close to equalising after 20 minutes when a free kick was skewed wide.

At the start of the second half Kane Roberts made a smart save. Berks County played some good approach football, but on the few occasions they looked really dangerous the solid visiting defence, with Mike Butcher and Andy Bullett impressing, remained unruffled.

Woodcote continued to create more openings, particularly after the introduction of substitute, James Worsfold, who soon went close with a good header from Mike Butcher’s cross.

After 80 minutes the visitors had their best chance of the half when a flowing move, started by Toby Nowell saw Tommy Chapman shoot wide when clear of the defence.

With time running out, Butcher confirmed himself as man-of-the-match, with a last ditch tackle as a forward burst through with the goal at his mercy.

WARGRAVE picked up their fifth Division 2 win of the season as they eased to a 3-0 win away to BARKHAM ATHLETIC.

A scrappy start to the game saw Wargrave pick up two early yellow cards.

The visitors then took control of the game as Tom Bray assisted Stuart Moss to put Wargrave ahead.

Wargrave were playing well in the second half as Moss scored his second after a well worked team move.

Will Stagg made it 3-0 after good work by Bray while Moss narrowly missed a good chance to complete his hat-trick.

In Division 3 WARGRAVE RESERVES remain just above the drop zone after they crashed 4-2 away to UNITY RESERVES.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES crashed out of the BTC Intermediate Cup after going down 3-0 to SRCC. The hosts never recovered from conceding two early goals and although they gave a better second-half performance, they were unable to reduce the arrears as the visitors netted once more without reply.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say