Thursday, 18 October 2018

Town stages comeback but stay bottom

EMMER GREEN lost their third senior division match in a row 4-2 at home to READING IRISH.

EMMER GREEN lost their third senior division match in a row 4-2 at home to READING IRISH.

They didn’t start well and found themselves a goal down within the first 15 minutes when the ball was floated into the box. Green goalkeeper Mark Compton called for it but didn’t claim it, allowing the Irish forward to pop it over him to take the lead.

But Green then rallied and grabbed a well-deserved equaliser when Chris Pilling got on the end of a Daniel Donegan free kick to set up John Donegan to finish with a nice header.

The hosts then took the lead when Daniel Donegan struck the ball well to force the Irish goalkeeper to get down for the save, but he could only parry it into the path of Donegan’s brother Luke, who finished by putting the ball back over the goalkeeper’s head with his left foot.

Soon after the restart, Irish levelled after a defensive error and then quickly took the lead after another neat finish.

Green responded well but any hope of a draw was dashed after Mark Compton gave away a penalty by tripping the Irish forward, which was converted to make it 4-2.

Elsewhere, KIDMORE END was due to host DEE ROAD RANGERS at The Hamlet in Gallowstree Common but the game was called off and an away win was awarded.

Division 1 saw a local derby clash between SC UNITED and near-neighbours HENLEY TOWN.

The bottom-of-the-table clash saw both sides take a share of the points after they battled to a 2-2 draw.

United got off to the better start and took the lead midway through the half when a Tim Bocknell corner was volleyed in by Danny Jakubiszyn from close range.

The lead was doubled 16 minutes later when a Henley defender handled in the area. Aaron Attfield stepped up and converted the spot-kick.

The visitors were awarded their own penalty shortly after half-time when United defender Thorsten Gentsch handled in the box. This was duly dispatched by Craig Sinclair to half the deficit.

Henley then grabbed an equalizer with 15 minutes remaining in bizarre fashion.

United midfielder Jakubiszyn’s attempted clearance of a Henley cross bobbled up with keeper James Phillips collecting the ball.

The referee saw this as a backpass and awarded an indirect free kick inside the area. Henley Town scored from the free kick through Ollie Maskell.

With much at stake, some feisty tackles were exchanged, but neither side could force a winner a draw being the fairest result. Although Henley remains at the bottom of the table on 12 points, the same as United, they can be hopeful of avoiding relegation. They are just a point behind the three teams that are immediately above them and they have games in hand.

In Division 4 East, HENLEY YMCA UNITED recorded an emphatic 5-1 win away at CAVERSHAM UNITED. The result movs the visitors to the top of the table with 29 points from 13 games, the same number of points as South Reading but they are above them thanks to a superior goal difference.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say