Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Hancock header enough to down league leaders United

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW ran out 2-1 winners away at Premier Division league leaders MARLOW UNITED last

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW ran out 2-1 winners away at Premier Division league leaders MARLOW UNITED last Saturday in a match played in difficult conditions.

The torrential rain and gale force winds which prevailed throughout the match in High Wycombe made it almost impossible for either side to play to any sort of pattern and the game was forgettable but for a very few moments of quality.

League leaders Marlow, playing with the wind in the first half, took the lead from the penalty spot on eight minutes after a foul on one of their players by Woodcote skipper Jim Hancock.

After going a goal behind Woodcote went on to dominate the match as visiting keeper Kane Roberts was almost redundant while the home keeper was called upon to make several fine saves to maintain Marlow’s first-half lead.

In the 25th minute Woodcote had three good chances to level the scores. Ryan Corbett, Woodcote’s star performer in the first half, hit a free kick from distance which was well saved. Shortly afterwards Jim Hancock’s header was cleared off the line and as the ball came back out of the area Corbett hit another 20 yard kick which brought an even better save from the home keeper. In the dying minutes of the half Corbett saw his free kick tipped over.

In the second half, with the wind at their backs, Woodcote continued to dominate but, in worsening conditions, failed to create clear-cut openings. After 73 minutes a strike from Ben Rusher levelled the scores. Marlow failed to clear a corner and, as the ball reached the edge of the penalty area, midfielder Rusher volleyed a low shot beyond the keeper’s despairing dive.

Three minutes later Woodcote captain Jim Hancock rose above the defence to glance home a well-flighted free kick from Andy Bullett.

In the dying seconds tempers boiled over and referee Stuart Marsh restored order with the help of assistants Steve McMahon and Ken Clark before showing a red card to a Marlow player.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES went down to a 5-1 defeat at home to promotion-chasing ELDON CELTIC. Andy Taylor netted the hosts’ only goal of the game in the second half.

League leaders MARLOW UNITED RESERVES proved too strong for hosts WARGRAVE as they ran out 3-1 winners.

GORING UNITED ran out 3-0 winners away to relegation-threatened ASHRIDGE PARK. Ed Ardill, William Jaycock and Tom Purser were the scorers for the visitors.

In Division 3 WARGRAVE RESERVES crashed to a 2-1 defeat away to TAPLOW UNITED RESERVES.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say