Monday, 15 October 2018

Williams leveller earns United a vital point

ANY hopes WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had of winning the Premier Division title ended on Saturday after they

ANY hopes WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW had of winning the Premier Division title ended on Saturday after they went down to a 1-0 defeat at home to MORTIMER.

In a game of high tempo but little quality, Woodcote had much the better chances and could have been out of sight by the time Mortimer took the lead with the game’s only goal after 75 minutes scored from the edge of the box.

Woodcote went close to levelling in injury time twice, firstly Toby Nowell shooting over an empty goal and then Jake Dillon missing a penalty. The day went from bad to worse for Jim Hancock who was sent off late on for a high tackle.

At the bottom end of the table ROTHERFIELD UNITED slipped into the relegation zone despite picking up a point away to league leaders MARLOW UNITED.

Rotherfield started the game well, playing some neat football through the midfield and Lewis Martin and Jordan Cuthbert looked dangerous down the left flank.

The visitors went 2-0 down against the run of play when first keeper Mark Compton made a good one-on-one save but couldn’t react before the Marlow player headed it in, and then the hosts doubled their lead with a 20-yard free kick.

Rotherfield got themselves back in the game when left back Lewis Martin travelled forward on a solo run and slotted the ball into the corner of the goal on the hour mark.

The visitors equalised through Colin Williams who was given the ball back having taken a corner and whipped it across the face of the goal and saw it nestle in the far corner.

The league leaders piled on the pressure for the final 15 minutes but Rotherfield held on to secure a share of the spoils.

In Division 3 WARGRAVE RESERVES slipped to second from bottom in the table after going down 3-1 at FINCHAMPSTEAD RESERVES.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES eased to a comfortable 5-3 Division 4 win against HURST RESERVES at Bishopswood.

The hosts took the lead through a good solo goal by Michael Simpson when he outmuscled a defender before cutting inside two players to fire in with his left foot.

Hurst equalised later in the first half with a route one ball over the top and finish from their striker.

Rotherfield continued to play good football in the second half and Simpson quickly added two more, his second of the day from 30 yards with the outside of his right foot.

Hurst hit back with a scrappy goal from a corner before captain Ben Cousins made it 4-2 when he pounced on a loose ball and side-footed home.

Hurst pulled a goal back to make it 4-3 and spurred a couple of good chances to level the scores before Michael Hunt wrapped up the win for the hosts with the last kick of the game.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say