Monday, 15 October 2018

Chaplin is spot on with late goal to earn YMCA United promotion

PAT GARDENER netted two goals as KIDMORE END beat WHITLEY TAVERN 5-3 in their Senior

PAT GARDENER netted two goals as KIDMORE END beat WHITLEY TAVERN 5-3 in their Senior Division clash at Gallowstree Common.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play after 10 minutes with a wind-assisted cross eluding keeper Simon Switala.

Kidmore hit back straight away with Davis beating two players before slotting home. Five minutes before half-time Lewis Jenkins burst through from midfield to slot past the on-rushing keeper to give the hosts the lead. On the stroke of half time Gardener made it 3-1 with a strike from the edge the box.

Whitley Tavern started to dominate in the second half but Kidmore always looked dangerous on the counter and made it 4-1 with good work once again from Davis who again beat two players and pulled the ball back for Brad Hayden to finish.

The visitors pulled another goal back with a lob finish before Gardener netted his second of the match to make it 5-2. With time running out Tavern netted their third.

In Division 1 HENLEY TOWN, whose scheduled midweek game against FC Woodley was postponed, lost at home to AFC BURGHFIELD by almost as wide a margin as they had won their previous match, going down 8-2.

Henley, who had to field their only available 11 players, were 3-0 in arrears by the interval. They let in another five goals in the second half, though Joe Magro and Oliver Pollard pulled two goals back.

Elsewhere in the division SC UNITED went down 6-1 away to WOODLEY WANDERERS.

In Division 3 East MAPLEDURHAM were held to a 3-3 draw away to GROSVENOR.

The Grosvenor took an early lead before goals from David Johnson and Jon Garratt put the visitors ahead. The hosts had a chance to equalise from the penalty spot but keeper Matt Harden l got a hand to it to the ball to turn it around the post.

Danny Gale put Mapledurham 3-1 up in the second half before the hosts piled on the pressure and netted twice to secure a share of the spoils.

Two late goals ensured HENLEY YMCA UNITED clinched promotion from Division 4 East as they came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at SOUTH READING.

Trailing 2-0 with just 10 minutes of the match remaining, Rhys York headed home a Tom Chaplin corner to reduce the arrears for the visitors.

With 90 minutes up on the clock in playing in injury time United were awarded a penalty after Hugh Barklem was brought down in the area when through on goal. Chaplin netted the resulting spot kick to earn his side the point that secured promotion.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say