Sunday, 21 October 2018

String of fine saves deny home side

IN a match which scored high for entertainment value, WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW just about deserved to hang

IN a match which scored high for entertainment value, WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW just about deserved to hang on for the three points to avenge a defeat three weeks earlier at MORTIMER on Saturday.

The Premier Division clash was played at a high tempo and with plenty of goalmouth action.

Woodcote started strongly and were rewarded with an early goal after five minutes. Jonny Summers was brought down in the box for a clear-cut penalty which brought no protests from the Mortimer players. Jake Dillon stepped up to score the penalty and put the visitors 1-0 up.

Woodcote/Stoke Row continued to dominate, but Mortimer also had their moments and Nathan Silver was called into action to make several good saves. After 15 minutes Woodcote made it 2-0 when, after a good period of play, Toby Nowell was put in the clear to shoot home at the second attempt. As the half progressed Mortimer began to launch more attacks but their finishing was wayward.

Woodcote needed to increase their lead to be sure of victory, but skipper, Andy Bullett, had a good shot well saved and a Frank Dillon effort from long range hit an upright.

The second half was barely a minute old when Mortimer reduced the arrears. A free kick eluded Silver and was headed home at the far post. This was the signal for a good period of play for the home side with Woodcote forced to defend in numbers.

After 65 minutes only a double-save by Silver preserved the lead, but five minutes later it was 2-2 after Silver spilled the ball. The keeper pounced to save the first shot but when the ball came loose again it was bundled over the line.

Mortimer were only on level terms for two minutes as they conceded a corner and Frank Dillon’s kick found Jonny Summers unmarked as he headed home for 3-2.

Mortimer threw everything at Woodcote for the last 20 minutes, but the visitors defended stoutly, and the closest the home team came to scoring was a shot which hit an upright and another effort which enabled Silver to redeem himself with yet another good save.

On Monday evening WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW completed the double over championship-chasing MARLOW UNITED with a 2-1 home win.

Woodcote took the lead after 15 minutes when Jake Dillon shot home from 12 yards from a cross by Dave Givens. Marlow threw everything at Woodcote in the second half and equalised after 65 minutes.

In the final minute Woodcote were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and a strike from Frank Dillon left the keeper rooted to the spot to give the home side all three points.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES lost their penultimate game of the season going down by 5-2 at home to IMAAN. On target for Woodcote were Will Macdonald and Tommy Brownlow.

WARGRAVE RESERVES were relegated from Division 3 after losing out 4-2 at home to BAUGHURST AFC in their final match of the season. Christopher Blackall and Stuart Moss were on target for the hosts. Wargrave finished the match with 10 men after Moss was red carded.

In Division 4 ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES went down to a 2-1 defeat against MAIDENHEAD MAGPIES RESERVES. The result in turn earned the visitors the league title. Trishtan Douglin was on target for the hosts.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say