Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Mapledurham close in on promotion

EMMER GREEN ran out 5-3 Senior Division winners at SOUTHCOTE on Sunday in their final match

EMMER GREEN ran out 5-3 Senior Division winners at SOUTHCOTE on Sunday in their final match before their Tilehurst Charity Cup final at Madejski Stadium next Thursday.

The visitors got off to a slow start and found themselves 2-0 after 25 minutes. Emmer Green then rallied and five minutes later pulled one back when Daniel Donegan crossed for his brother Luke to rifle home. Daniel grabbed the equaliser after Luke was tripped in the box and Daniel scored from the resulting penalty.

Daniel Donegan put Green in front at the start of the second half after putting the centre back under some pressure and to beat the keeper one-on-one.

Matt Fox made his return from injury and made an instant impact on the game after a superb run down the right wing together with a pinpoint cross for Luke Donegan to score. Chris Read, also returnign after a lenghty injury netted his side’s fifth when he headed home a Daniel Donegan corner. Southcote netted their third of the match late on.

Elsewhere in the division KIDMORE END ran out 3-2 winners away to WHITLEY TAVERN.

HENLEY TOWN, who withdrew from Division 1 after again being unable to field a team in their final game, at home to The Pub, went out on a winning note as they won 1-0 at FC WOODLEY on Thursday of last week. Oliver Pollard netted the only goal of the match.

Elsewhere in the division SC UNITED lost out 1-0 at home to FC WOODLEY.

MAPLEDURHAM closed in on promotion from Division 3 East thanks to a 3-2 home win against rivals SPENCERS WOOD.

The hosts took the lead from the penalty spot after five minutes when Stuart Owen converted after David Johnson had been fouled in the area.

Spencer’s Wood equalised when the ball bounced awkwardly and crept past Matt Harden in the home goal.

In the second half Owen was brought down in the area to give Mapledurham their second spot kick of the game which was converted by Johnson.

The lead didn’t last long Spencers Wood levelled from close range with 20 minutes remaining.

With time running out Owen broke away to score his second and his side’s winning goal.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say