Tuesday, 26 October 2021

Tests needed to uncover cause of star's death

Tests needed to uncover cause of star's death

THE cause of pop star George Michael’s death remains a mystery.

A post mortem on the 53-year-old singer, who passed away at his home in Goring on Christmas Day, proved inconclusive and police say further tests must be carried out.

The tests are expected to include a toxicology report but the results will not be known for several weeks.

Michael was found in his bed at Mill Cottage, off High Street, by celebrity hairdresser Fadi Fawaz, with whom he had been in a relationship since 2011. The emergency services were called and he was confirmed dead at the scene.

Thames Valley Police said they were treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious. Michael Lippman, the former Wham! singer’s manager, said he had died of heart failure.

Hundreds of mourners from across the country visited Goring to pay homage to Michael, whose real name was Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou. They left flowers, cards with messages, balloons, candles, drawings, framed posters and other tributes outside the cottage, which he bought in 1999.

By Wednesday night the pile stretched from the entrance to Lock Approach, off High Street, to the side gate at St Thomas’ Church.

A T-shirt bearing the lyrics to Wham!’s 1984 hit Last Christmas was tied to the church gate with the message: “George If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. Love you always gorgeous. Maria.”

A card from Sarah Carvel, from Tamworth, Staffordshire, said: “My heart has broken on the news of your death. I have loved you and your music from the very start and had the pleasure of seeing you in concert numerous times. I will treasure these memories forever.”

A young child’s message, accompanied by a drawing, simply said: “Dear George Michael, I was so sad when you died. I love your singing. Love from Olivia xxxx.”

Civil servant Steve Jackson, 46, of High Barnet, who had already laid flowers at Michael’s London property, said: “He’s been my hero since the Wham! days and I feel privileged to have seen him live in concert. I lost my father at 16 and he became the soundtrack to some difficult times. His music was uplifting and I’m grateful to have witnessed such a special talent.”

Roger and Marie Wills, of Caerphilly, visited with their grown-up children Lindsay and Martin.

Mrs Wills said: “He was the biggest superstar of our time and such an underrated singer-songwriter. We all worship him and feel we have to come and pay our respects. The children grew up with him and he’s a massive part of our lives.”

Resident Anita Warwick, of White Hart Yard, who was walking her dogs Tilly and Rosa past the scene when the ambulance arrived on Christmas Day, said: “It’s usually so peaceful here but this paramedic car came screeching down High Street and stopped right by the house.

“The medic got out and went straight inside so I knew something was going on. Two police cars arrived about 10 minutes later and a man who must have been George’s boyfriend let them in.

” I carried on walking the dogs and when I walked past a little bit later the ambulance had arrived. We didn’t actually realise what had happened until we heard the news on Boxing Day.

“It was a complete shock and it has been madness around here ever since. We were very glad to have gone away after Christmas to get away from it. The day afterwards, there were television crews filming down here and there were so many fans that you couldn’t move. People are still turning up now.

“We’ve lived here 18 years and have only seen him twice. He was a very private man and I think he liked the fact that he could come here and be anonymous. People knew he lived around here but they didn’t bother him.

“The outpouring of grief has been incredible and really quite moving. It’s so sad because he was so young and still had so much to give.”

Most of Michael’s £10million fortune is expected to go to his older sisters, Melanie and Yioda.

More News:

POLL: Have your say