Saturday, 23 January 2021

LOCKDOWN III: Your cut-out-and-keep guide featuring all latest restrictions

THE nation is again under lockdown to try to prevent the NHS from becoming overwhelmed by a surge in coronavirus cases.

Primary and secondary schools have closed to almost all pupils as Prime Minister Boris Johnson instructed the public to stay at home.

People are only allowed to go out for essential reasons.

Primary and secondary schools have moved teaching online for all pupils apart from vulnerable and keyworker children.

Reasons to leave home include:

• Work or volunteering where it is “unreasonable” to work from home. This includes work in someone else’s home, such as that carried out by social workers, cleaners and tradespeople.

• Education, training, childcare and medical appointments and emergencies.

• Exercise outdoors (limited to once a day). This includes meeting one other person from another household in an open public space to exercise.

• Shopping for essentials such as food and medicine.

• Communal religious worship.

• Meeting your support or childcare bubble. Children can move between separated parents.

• Activities related to moving house.

The police can take action against you if you leave home without a “reasonable excuse”, and issue you with a fine (fixed penalty notice).

You can be given a fixed penalty notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.

Those who are clinically extremely vulnerable will be advised to limit the time they spend outside the home. The Government says they should only go out if it is essential — not for work or education purposes.

International travel, or travel around the UK is only permitted for essential reasons.

Hospitality businesses, such as pubs and restaurants and non-essential shops must close.

Indoor and outdoor sports facilities, including gyms and tennis courts, must close.

Essential businesses and services that can stay open to the public include:

• Supermarkets, food shops, pharmacies and garden centres.

• Places of worship.

• Petrol stations and MOT services.

• Banks and post offices.

• Doctors and dentists’ surgeries and vets.

• Car parks, public toilets and playgrounds.

Meeting with others safely

It is critical that everyone observes the following key behaviours:

Hands — wash your hands regularly and for 20 seconds.

Face — wear a face covering in indoor settings where social distancing may be difficult, and where you come into contact with people you do not normally meet.

Space — stay 2m apart from the people you do not live with, where possible, or 1m with extra precautions.

It is important to meet people you do not live with outdoors, where possible. If you meet people you do not live with indoors, such as someone working in your home, you should make sure you let as much fresh air in as you can.

Social distancing

To reduce the risk of catching or spreading coronavirus, you should minimise time spent with people you do not live with, and when around other people not in your household or support bubble.

Social distancing is essential to stop the spread of the virus. When with people you do not live with, you should avoid physical contact, being close and face-to-face and shouting or singing close to them. You should also avoid crowded areas.

Wear a face covering while on public transport and in many indoor spaces. You must wear a face covering by law — unless you are exempt.

Support and childcare bubbles

You have to meet certain eligibility rules to form a support or childcare bubble. This means not everyone will be able to form a bubble.

A support bubble is a support network which links two households. You can form a support bubble with another household of any size only if you meet the eligibility rules, which are available at

If you live in a household with anyone aged under 14, you can form a childcare bubble. This allows friends or family from one other household to provide informal childcare.

You must not meet socially with your childcare bubble and must avoid seeing members of your childcare and support bubbles at the same time.

Where and when can we meet in larger groups?

There are still circumstances in which you are allowed to meet others from outside your household, childcare or support bubble in larger groups, but this should not be for socialising and only for permitted purposes.

Circumstances include:

• For work, or providing voluntary or charitable services.

• In a childcare bubble — for the purposes of childcare only.

• For arrangements where children do not live in the same household as both their parents or guardians.

• To allow contact between birth parents and children in care.

• For birth partners.

• To provide emergency assistance, to avoid injury or illness, or to escape risk of harm (including domestic abuse).

• To see someone who is dying.

• To fulfil a legal obligation, such as attending court of jury service.

• For elite sportspeople and their coaches, or parents/guardians if they are aged under 18.

Support groups that have to be delivered in person can continue with up to 15 participants where formally organised to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support — but they must take place at a premises other than a private home.

Where a group includes someone covered by an exception, such as someone who is working, they are not generally counted as part of the gatherings limit. For example, tradespeople can go into a household without breaching the limit.

If you break the rules, the police can take action against you. you can be given a fixed penalty notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400. If you hold, or are involved in holding, an illegal gathering of more than 30 people, the police can issue fines of £10,000.

Protecting people more at risk

If you are clinically vulnerable, you could be at a higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus.

There is additional advice for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to covid-19 at

Those who are in this category should not attend work, school, college or university, and limit the time you spend outside the home. You should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential.

Staying away from home overnight

You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, if this is not your primary residence. This also includes staying with anyone who you don’t live with unless they’re in your support bubble.

You are allowed to stay overnight away from your home if you:

• Are visiting your support bubble.

• Are unable to return to your main residence.

• Need accommodation while moving house.

• Need accommodation to attend a funeral or related commemorative event.

• Require accommodation for work purposes.

• Are a child requiring accommodation for school or care.

• Are homeless, seeking asylum, a vulnerable person seeking refuge, or escaping harm.

• Are an elite athlete or their support staff or parent, if the athlete is under the age of 18 and it is necessary to be outside of the home for training or competition.

If you are already on holiday, you should return to your home as soon as it is practical to do so.

Going to work

You may only leave home for work if you cannot reasonably work from home.

Where people cannot work from home — including, but not limited to, people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction, or manufacturing — they should continue to travel to the workplace.

Public sector employees working in essential services, including childcare or education, should continue to go to work.

Where it is necessary for you to work in other people’s homes, you can do so. Otherwise, you should avoid meeting for work in a private home or garden, where covid measures might not be in place.

Employers and employees should discuss their working arrangements and employers should take every possible step to facilitate their employees working from home, including providing suitable IT and equipment to enable remote working.


Colleges, primary (reception onwards) and secondary schools will remain open for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term.

Not all exams will go ahead as planned in the summer. The Government is working with Ofqual to put in place alternative arrangements that will allow students to progress fairly.

Public exams and vocational assessments scheduled to take place in January will go ahead as planned.

University students who are undertaking training and study in medicine and dentistry, subjects allied to medicine/health, veterinary science, education (initial teacher training), social work and courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body assessments and mandatory activity in January should return to face-to-face learning. Students will be tested twice upon arrival or self-isolate for 10 days.

Students who do not study these courses should remain where they are wherever possible and start their term online.


There are several ways that parents and carers can continue to access childcare:

• Early Years settings, including nurseries and childminders remain open.

• Vulnerable children and children of critical workers can continue to use registered childcare, childminders and other childcare activities.

• Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with one other household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is under 14. This is mainly to enable parents to work and must not be used to enable social contact between adults.

• Nannies will be able to continue to provide services, including in the home.

Care home visits

Visits to care homes can take place with arrangements, such as substantial screens, visiting pods or behind windows. Close contact indoor visits are not allowed. No visits will be permitted in the event of an outbreak.

Weddings, civil partnerships, religious services and funerals

Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals are allowed with strict limits on attendance, and must only take place in covid-secure venues or in public outdoor spaces, unless in exceptional circumstances.

Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people. Linked religious, belief-based or commemorative events, such as stone settings, can also continue with up to six people in attendance. Anyone working is not counted in these limits and social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.

Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies must only take place with up to six people. These should only take place in exceptional circumstances.

Places of worship

You can attend places of worship for a service. However, you must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble. You should maintain strict social distancing at all times.

Sports and physical activity

Indoor gyms and sports facilities will remain closed. Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges and riding arenas must also close. Organised outdoor sport for disabled people is allowed to continue.

Moving home

You can still move home. People outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless absolutely necessary.

Estate and letting agents and removal firms can continue to work. You can go to property viewings.

Financial support

Businesses in retail, hospitality and leisure will receive new grants to help them keep afloat until the spring. The grants will be worth up to £9,000 per property.

The help is in addition to business rates relief and the furlough scheme, which is available until the end of April.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has also pledged a further £594 million for local authorities and devolved administrations to support businesses not eligible for the grants.

Under the furlough scheme, workers in any part of the UK can retain their job, even if their employer cannot afford to pay them, and be paid at least 80 per cent of their salary up to £2,500 a month.

The flexibility of the current Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme will be retained to allow employees to continue to work where they can.

Businesses and venues

To reduce social contact, the regulations require some businesses to close and impose restrictions on how some businesses provide goods and services. The full list of businesses required to close can be found on

Businesses and venues that must close include:

• Non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape shops, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, auction houses (except for auctions of livestock or agricultural equipment) and market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to be able to operate click-and-collect (where goods are pre-ordered and collected off the premises) and delivery services.

• Hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs; with the exception of providing food and non-alcoholic drinks for takeaway (until 11pm), click-and-collect and drive-through. All food and drink (including alcohol) can continue to be provided by delivery.

• Accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites, except for specific circumstances.

• Leisure and sports facilities such as leisure centres and gyms, swimming pools, sports courts, fitness and dance studios, riding arenas at riding centres, climbing walls, and golf courses.

• Entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, indoor play and soft play centres and areas (including inflatable parks and trampolining centres), circuses, fairgrounds, funfairs, water parks and theme parks.

• Animal attractions (such as zoos, safari parks, aquariums, and wildlife reserves).

• Indoor attractions at venues such as botanical gardens, heritage homes and landmarks must also close, though outdoor grounds of these premises can stay open for outdoor exercise.

• Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services must also close. These services should not be provided in other people’s homes.

• Community centres and halls must close except for a limited number of exempt activities, as set out below. Libraries can also remain open to provide access to IT and digital services — for example for people who do not have it at home — and for click-and-collect services.

Some of these businesses and places will also be permitted to be open for a small number of exempt activities. A full list of exemptions can be found at

Other businesses and venues are permitted to stay open, following covid-19 secure guidelines.

Businesses providing essential goods and services can stay open. They include essential retail such as food shops and supermarkets, market stalls selling essential retail and businesses providing repair services.

Petrol stations, vehicle repair and MOT services, banks, building societies, post offices, funeral directors, medical, dental and veterinary services can also continue. A full list of businesses is available at

Car parks, public toilets, motorway service areas and outdoor playgrounds, places of worship, crematoriums and burial grounds can also remain open.


The NHS has begun the biggest mass vaccination campaign in its history to prtotect people from covid-19.

Three vaccines have been approved in the UK so far. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was the first to be approved for mass use in the over-16s.

A vaccine developed by Oxford-AstraZeneca is also being rolled out while the Government has pre-ordered 17 million doses of the vaccine produced by American company Moderna.

Who will get the vaccine first?

Broadly, vaccines are being given to the most vulnerable first, as set out in a list of nine high-priority groups, covering 30 million people.

1. Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers.

2. 80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers.

3. 75-year-olds and over.

4. 70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable indidividuals.

5. 65-year-olds and over.

6. 16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions.

7. 60-year-olds and over

8. 55-year-olds and over

9. 50-year-olds and over.

People aged over 80 in hospital, frontline health staff and care home workers have been the first to get the Pfizer jab at designated hospitals across the UK.

The first Oxford jabs are being carried out in hospitals before the bulk of supplies will be sent out to hundreds of GP surgeries and care homes.

The aim is to vaccinate every care home resident by the end of January; everyone over the age of 70 and anyone who is clinically vulnerable by mid-February and the rest of the priority groups by Easter.

The second phase of vaccination will focus on the rest of the population, mainly the under-50s, who are much less likely to be ill with covid-19.

Teachers, transport workers and the military could be prioritised at that point.

What about the two-dose policy?

Both the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines require two doses to provide the best protection. Everyone will receive their second dose within 12 weeks of the first.

Can the vaccines be mixed and matched?

Official guidance states that every person should get the same vaccine for both doses.

How many people have received the vaccine so far?

More than four million people received the vaccine, including more than half of those aged 80 and above.

Where will I get the vaccine?

You’ll be invited to book an appointment to get a vaccine as soon as it’s your turn, probably by phone or letter.

Vaccinations will take place in hospital hubs, GP surgeries, car homes, sports stadiums and conferences centres.

The NHS is recruiting 30,000 volunteers, who will be trained to give the jabs.

Will everyone be vaccinated?

The eventual aim is that as many people over the age of 16 receive a covid-19 vaccine. However, it won’t be compulsory.

What about people with allergies?

Anyone with previous history of allergic reactions to the ingredients of the vaccine should not receive it but those with other allergies such as a food allergy can now have it.

Will being pregnant affect when I can have the vaccine?

Vaccination with either vaccine should only be considered for pregnant women when the potential benefits outweigh any potential risk.

Women who are breastfeeding can be given the vaccine.

Can I pay to be vaccinated sooner?

No — this vaccine is being rolled out free to people by the NHS.

Volunteer groups and volunteers

Henley Covid-19 Mutual Aid is linked to South Oxfordshire District Council through Oxfordshire All In, which handles calls from vulnerable people from across the county.

If you live in Henley and need support, visit or call the district council helpline on 01235 422600 from 8.30am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Deputy Mayor David Eggleton will deliver soup, long-life milk, sugar, teabags, coffee and toilet rolls to the elderly and
self-isolating. Call him on 07836 202508.

Message town councillor Will Hamilton on Twitter @LeadHenley for help with shopping

The Henley Literary Festival has a “buddy” scheme for residents who need help with groceries or medication. Email

Shiplake Villages Covid-19 Mutual Aid has its own Facebook group page. Call 01189 406665 or email covid-19@shiplakevillages

Benson Help Hub, call (01491) 352524 or (01491) 352526 or email

Binfield Heath Covid-19 Mutual Aid has a Facebook group page co-ordinated by Jon Gittoes, Amanda Jennings and Gilly Lea. Call 01189 471495.

Checkendon Volunteers has a Facebook group page. Email Becky Kite at

Eye and Dunsden Corona Support has a Facebook group page.

Ewelme Village Store has a delivery service for villagers who self-isolate. Call (01491) 834467.

Harpsden volunteers are co-ordinated by Florence Phillips. Contact her via Facebook messenger.

Highmoor Volunteers group is run by Elaine Mulvaney and Judi Stacpoole. Email

Nettlebed volunteers. Email or call Noel Sheeran on (01491) 641114.

Kidmore End volunteers. Email Sue Remenyi at

Fish volunteer centre in Sonning Common is deploying 50 drivers to pick up shopping and medicines. Call 0118 972 3986.

SoCo Corona Virus Support has its own Facebook group page. Call 07468 004541 or email

Stoke Row Village has its own Facebook group page. Email Mark Taylor at

Combat Corona Volunteers Woodcote has its own Facebook group page. Email

Combat Corona Volunteers Goring has its own Facebook group page. Call Debs Newell-Akers on (01491) 525639.

Wargrave Coronavirus Help has its own Facebook group page. Call Michele Bryan on 07966 585529.

Goring and Streatley Village Helpline is linked to a bank of volunteers. The support group also has a team of trained counsellors, who offer their time to talk. Call (01491) 525639, email or visit

WhatsApp support groups for Remenham and Aston. To add your name to the Remenham group, call Janette Brown on 07768 166764 or email and to be added to the Aston group, email Charlotte Every on churchwarden@remenhamparish

Provisions suppliers and takeaways

Bosley Patch, Henley — Thursday to Sunday — vegetables, bread and local supplies box scheme. Call 07584 080663, visit

CA Belcher & Son — produce supplier to Henley restaurants, offering fresh food boxes. Visit

O’Neills market stall — mixed fruit and veg box (£25) for collection on a Thursday at weekly charter market in Market Place, Henley. Orders must be placed by 5pm Wednesday. Email

Pond Farm — fruit, vegetable and salad box deliveries to Henley, Sonning Common, Caversham, Kidmore End, Shiplake, Binfield Heath, Sonning, Wargrave and Twyford. Visit the Pond Farm Cottage page on Facebook.

Blue Tin Produce — pork, beef, lamb and mutton by the joint, a range of sausages, bacon, burgers and gammon as well as fresh veg and eggs. Call (01491) 681145, visit

Chiltern Lamb — British native and grass fed sheep from Kingsbarn Farm, Medmenham. Visit

English Farm — pasture-fed Longhorn beef and half or whole lamb. Visit www.henleycircle

Gabriel Machin butchers and curers — fresh and cured meat and fish as well as cheese and eggs. Call (01491) 574 377, visit

Shiplake Butchers — call 01189 402729

Carl Woods Butchers — order online, over the phone and at the shop. Free local delivery is available. Call 01189 722228, visit

Henley Larder — Tuesday to Saturday 8am to 5pm and Sunday 10am to 2pm. Call (01491) 413904, visit

Nettlebed Creamery — Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm, for cheese, milk and butter. Call (01491) 642127.

Orwells Community Shop — larder and baked goods, diary and other essentials and wine. Visit www.theorwellscommunityshop

Orwells restaurant — takeaway only. Call 01189 403673, visit

Willow Basket Henley — dried goods such as pasta, rice, pulses and grains, dried herbs and spices. Available for collection, call 07769 975605 or visit its Facebook page.

Nuno’s fish and seafood — Nuno Rosado, who runs The Square, Henley, is taking orders for fish and seafood from Billingsgate Market for collection or delivery. Call 07552 800693. He will also be selling produce outside his restaurant in Market Place on Thursday (8am to 4pm) and Saturday (9am to 2pm) and on Friday at Shiplake Village Stores, Lower Shiplake, from 8.30am to 11am and at Bosley Patch, Swiss Farm, Henley, from 11.30am to 1.30pm and Stoke Row Village Store from 2pm to 4pm.

Loddon Brewery, Dunsden, — selling fresh fruit and vegetables in addition to its beer.

Cook — frozen food. Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm and Sunday 10.30am to 4pm. Visit

Phenology — homemade soups, tarts, pies, bread, cakes using ingredient s from the walled garden at Harpsden Court. Delivery available. Visit

Pielicious — homemade pies. Collection from the Henley 60+ Social Club in Greys Road car park. Delivery to central Henley by appointment. Call 07787 158227 or visit its Facebook page.

Rachael’s Larder — meals and desserts using free range, organic and sustainable ingredients. Call 07890 397648 or visit its Facebook page.

Save Thyme Cooking — call 07811 121408 or visit

Al Forno, Henley — takeaway only. Usual menu plus gluten free and vegan options. Visit

Argyll pub, Henley — click and collect/takeaway only, including beer and wine. Visit

The Dub — takeaway only, Tuesday to Saturday from noon to 8pm. Visit its Facebook page.

Giggling Squid — takeaway only, Monday to Saturday from noon to 10pm and Sunday from noon to 9pm. Visit

Luscombes at the Golden Ball — takeaway only, call Sharon on (01491) 574157.

Magoos, Henley — takeaway only, Thursday to Sunday 5pm to 10pm. Visit

Menza Café, Dry Leas, Henley — takeaway only, Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 2pm. Visit

The Row Barge, Henley — takeaway only, Wednesday to Friday 6pm to 10pm, Saturday noon to 2.30pm and 6pm to 10 and Sunday noon to 6pm. Visit

Spice Merchant, Henley — takeaway/home delivery only, Monday to Saturday 4.30pm to 9.30pm and Sunday 2.30 to 8.30pm. Call (01491) 636118 or visit

The Square, Henley — takeaway only. Call (01491) 578681, visit

The Three Horseshoes, Henley — takeaway only. Call (01491) 573971.

Zizzi, Henley — takeaway only, 4pm to 9pm, call (01491) 410070, visit

Greyhound2Go (AWT at the Greyhound), Peppard Common — takeaway only. Visit

The Crooked Billet, Stoke Row — takeaway only. Visit

The Field Kitchen, Nettlebed — takeaway only, Tuesday to Saturday noon to 8pm. Visit

The Five Horseshoes, Maidensgrove — takeaway only, Wednesday to Saturday noon to 3pm and 6pm to 10pm, Sunday noon to 4pm. Visit

The White Hart, Nettlebed — takeaway only for fish and chips, served Friday from 4pm to 9pm (last orders 8pm). Visit

The Flowing Spring pub in Playhatch — takeaway only, from noon to 9pm daily.

Chef Simon Mckenzie — fine dining restaurant boxes. Visit

Drifters Coffee House, Henley — finish at home recipes. Visit

Persian Delights by Mali — homemade food cooked to order — with a few days’ notice — for collection. Call 07867 489626 or visit

Spoon Deli, Henley — Friday specials. Order by Wednesday at noon for collection between 2pm and 3pm on Friday. Visit

Asiana Spice, Henley — takeaway only. Call (01491) 574422, visit

Bombay Dining — takeaway only. Call (01491) 572218, visit

Café le Raj, Henley — takeaway only, call (01491) 573337, visit

Domino’s Pizza, Henley — delivery or collection, call (01491) 577666,

Full House, Henley — takeaway only, Monday to Sunday from noon to 2pm and 5.30pm to 10pm, call (01491) 413355.

Happy Wok, Henley — takeaway only, Tuesday to Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm to 10.30pm and Sunday 5pm to 10pm. Call (01491) 413883, visit

JK Fish & Chips, Henley — takeaway only. Call (01491) 413920.

Istanbul Kebab Shop, Henley — takeaway only, Monday to Sunday noon to 11pm, visit www.istanbulkebabhenley.restajet

Smokey Flame, Henley — takeaway only, Monday to Thursday noon to 11pm, Friday and Saturday noon to midnight and Sunday 2pm to 11pm. Call (01491) 578857, visit

Time for Tea — delivery of afternoon tea boxes. Order via its Facebook page.

Wine, beer and spirits

Chiltern Valley Winery — visit

Crockers At Home, Henley — cocktails and wines. Visit

Fairmile Vineyard, Henley — visit

Loddon Brewery, Dunsden — visit

Lovibonds, Henley — visit

Mr Hobbs Gin, Henley — visit

Oaken Grove Vineyard — visit

Coffee Shops

Berries, Henley — takeaway only.

Harris & Hoole, Henley — takeaway only.


Townlands Memorial Hospital minor injuries unit. Call 01865 903703, visit

Doctors’ surgeries are conducting all appointments by telephone. If a condition is deemed serious enough, a face-to-face appointment will be offered.

The Bell Surgery, off York Road, call (01491) 843250. You can also use eConsult, an interactive online form, to ask a GP or nurse a question or to ask for help with a prescription or administration. Visit

The Hart Surgery, off York Road, call (01491) 843200.

The Chiltern Surgery, Hill Road, Watlington, call (01491) 612444.

The Wargrave Surgery, Victoria Road, Wargrave, call 0118 940 3939.

Emmer Green Surgery, St Barnabas Road, Emmer Green, call 0118 948 6900 or 0118 948 1684.

Wallingford Medical Practice, Reading Road, Wallingford, call (01491) 835577.

Goring Surgery, Red Cross Road, Goring, call (01491) 872372.

Woodcote Surgery, Wayside Green, Woodcote, call (01491) 680686.

Mill Stream Surgery, Benson, call (01491) 838286.

Nettlebed Surgery, Wanbourne Lane, call (01491) 641204.

Sonning Common Health Centre, Wood Lane, Sonning Common, call 0118 972 2188.

Oxfordshire diabetes patient hotline. Call 01865 857357.


Boots the chemist in Bell Street, Henley, is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm on Saturday and 10.30am to 4.30pm on Sunday.

The pharmacy at Tesco in Reading Road, Henley, is open from 9am to 7pm on Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm on Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday.

The Henley Pharmacy in Bell Street, Henley, is open from 8.45am to 5.30pm Monday to Saturday and they are closed on Sundays.

The Day Lewis pharmacy in Wood Lane, Sonning Common, is open from 9am to 1pm — breaking for lunch — and from 2pm to 6pm, Monday to Friday. It is open from 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm on Saturdays and they are closed on Sundays.

The Lloyds pharmacy in High Street, Goring, is open from 9am to 6pm on weekdays, 9am to 5pm on Saturdays and closed Sunday.

The Lloyds pharmacy in High Street, Benson, is open from 9am to 6pm on weekdays, 9am to 1pm on Saturdays and it is closed on Sundays.

The Lloyds pharmacy in Victoria Road, Wargrave, is open from 9am to 6.00pm on weekdays, 9am to 1pm on Saturdays and it is closed on Sundays.

The pharmacy in Couching Street, Watlington, is open from 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm weekdays, 9am to 1pm on Saturdays and closed on Sunday.

Lloyds pharmacy in Peppard Road, Emmer Green, is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm on weekdays, 9am to 5.30pm on Saturdays and it is closed on Sundays.

Boots the chemist in Church Street, Caversham, is open from 9am to 6pm weekdays, 9am to 5.30pm on Saturdays and close on Sundays.

Rowlands pharmacy in Hemdean Road, Caversham, is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm weekdays, 9am to 1pm on Saturdays and it is closed on Sundays.

Markand pharmacy in Henley Road, Caversham, is open from are 9am to 5.30pm on weekdays and Saturdays and they are closed on Sundays.

Parish councils

Local authorities have been given powers in their areas, to close specific premises, shut public outdoor spaces, and cancel events.

This will enable them to act more quickly in response to outbreaks of the virus.

Henley Town Council — Louise Hastings (general enquiries), 07730 095053; Helen Barnett (town and community issues), 07702 884321 and James Churchill-Coleman (town hall), 07889 861977.

Benson Parish Council — clerk Elizabeth Stanley, (01491) 825038 and

Bix and Assendon Parish Council — clerk Jane Pryce, 01189 475915 and parishclerk@

Charvil Parish Council — clerk Miranda Parker 01189 017719 and

Checkendon — clerk Claire Dunk, (01491) 680558 and

Eye & Dunsden Parish Council — clerk M Sermon, (01491) 412908 or 07425 131862 and

Ewelme Parish Council — clerk Jo Brock 07510 250508 and

Goring Heath Parish Council — clerk Amanda Holland, 01189 844867 and goring.heath.parish

Goring Parish Council — assistant clerk Mike Ward, (01491) 874444 and clerk@

Harpsden Parish Council — clerk Anne Marie Scanlon, 07879 210633 and clerk@harpsden

Highmoor Parish Council — clerk Jean Pickett, 07864 718314 and

Ipsden Parish Council — Moira Holloway, 07764 662034 and

Kidmore End — clerk Roger Penfold, 01189 473130 and

Lewknor — clerk B Drysdale, 07833 125414 and

Mapledurham Parish Council — Kidmore End — clerk Roger Penfold, 01189 473130 and

Nettlebed Parish Council — clerk Jo Pugh, 07554 810736 and

Nuffield Parish Council — clerk Claire Dunk, (01491) 680558 and claire.dunk@talk

Pishill with Stonor Parish Council — clerk P Pearce, (01491) 638727 and

Rotherfield Greys Parish Council — clerk Jane Pryce 01189 475 915 and parishclerk@

Rotherfield Peppard Parish Council — clerk Joanne Askin 01189 406809 and

Shiplake Parish Council — clerk Roger Hudson, (01491) 577654 or 07831 106394 and

Sonning Common Parish Council — clerk Philip Collings, 01189 723616 and clerk@sonning

Stoke Row Parish Council — clerk Ina Chantry, (01491) 410417 and

Swyncombe Parish Council — chairman Liz Longley, (01491) 641445, clerk Kristina Tynan,

Wargrave Parish Council — clerk Stephen Hedges 01189 406084 and clerk@wargrave-

Watlington Parish Council — clerk K Tyman (01491) 613867 and

Whitchurch Parish Council — clerk Jane Yamamoto, 07876 714906 and parishclerk.

Woodcote Parish Council — clerk J Welham, (01491) 681861 and

Other useful contacts

Riverside Counselling Service for adults and young people from the age of 12. Call (01491) 876670, email contact@riversidecounselling or visit www.riversidecounsellingservice

South Oxon Adult Mental Health — calls to 01865 904191 are answered 24 hours a day.

Oxfordshire South and Vale Citizens Advice — call 0300 3309042, email or visit

Oxfordshire All In provides information for volunteers. Visit Public Health England or

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Service helpline, 08007 310055 from 10am to 7pm weekdays.

Samaritans provides emotional support to anyone in distress or at risk of suicide. Call free at any time from any phone on 116 123 or email

Savile Row Travel app for information on small producers, and takeaways, from the android and Apple stores. User ID: HENLEY, Passcode: LOCAL.

Oxfordshire County Council telephone line for vulnerable people. Call 01865 897820 or email from 8.30am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Henley Basket — buy goods direct from town retailers for collection or delivery. Visit


Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose have said they will ban shoppers who refuse to wear face coverings.

It comes after the Government’s vaccines minister said there were concerns about behaviour in stores.

The companies said entry would be denied to those not wearing masks unless they had a valid medical reason.

The John Lewis Partnership, which owns supermarket Waitrose, said it was also suspending click-and-collect services within John Lewis department stores.

Sainsbury's also said it would use security guards to challenge those shopping in groups.

Waitrose, Bell Street, Henley, and Church Street, Caversham. Opening hours: 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm Saturday, 10am to 4pm Sunday. Number of customers in the shop is restricted, queuing is possible before entering. 2m distance rule when shopping. Call (01491) 410440 (Henley) or 0118 948 2912 (Caversham).

Tesco, Reading Road, Henley, and Gatehampton Road, Goring. Opening hours: 8am to 9pm Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm Sunday (Henley). In Goring, opening hours are 7am to 10pm daily. Call 0345 677 9343 (Henley) or 0345 610 6761 (Goring).

Sainsbury’s local, Bell Street, Henley. Opening hours: 7am to 11pm daily. Number of customers in the shop is restricted. Call (01491) 410053.

Co-op, High Street, Benson, and Wood Lane, Sonning Common, both open from 7am to 10pm, and the store in Couching Street, Watlington, is open from 6am to 11pm. Call (01491) 838312 (Benson), 0118 972 4818 (Sonning Common) or (01491) 612472 (Watlington).

More News:

POLL: Have your say