PATIENTS who had to wait a long time for a bed at the Royal Berkshire Hospital over the festive period have received an apology
PATIENTS who had to wait a long time for a bed at the Royal Berkshire Hospital over the festive period have received an apology.
The Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust said it treated 2,800 patients through its accident and emergency department and 1,060 patients were admitted for further care.
The three days between New Year’s Day and Sunday night were the busiest period with more 950 patients seen and 330 patients admitted.
In a statement, the trust said: “We would like to apologise to those patients who had to wait a long time to be transferred to a bed in the hospital.
“Saturday saw the highest number of accident and emergency attendances over the period, with 341 patients coming through the door with a wide range of conditions.”
Sunday, December 27 saw the highest number of admissions - 134 - and on many days over the holiday admittance to a hospital bed via accident and emergency was up by as much as 25 per cent on last year.
The statement added: “Because of the continuing pressures for beds, doctors at the hospital are asking the public to continue to ensure that they only come to A&E with real emergencies.”
Jean O’Callaghan, chief executive of the trust, said: “We coped well in difficult circumstances, largely due to a lot of hard work done in the days leading up to Christmas Eve in planning safe discharges for a large number of patients.
“This meant that we had a good number of beds available ahead of the long weekend period. Many staff worked extra shifts to increase services available over the weekend and there was very good team work across the trust.”