Tuesday, 18 December 2018

Nine goal thriller for amber and blues

HENLEY lost their first home match of the season at Juiblee Park on Saturday against

HENLEY lost their first home match of the season at Juiblee Park on Saturday against Southern Premier League Division 1 newcomers London Edwardians.

Henley started the slower of the two sides, with London Edwardians applying some early pressure to the home defence. After absorbing the attacking play of the London frontline, it was the visitors that broke the deadlock with an early goal.

Henley hit back with Chris Green netting his third in as many games to level the scores but thier lead was short lived as London Eds continued to build upon their early pressure and capitalised with another goal to make it 2-1.

This setback seemed to rock the home side, with Henley beginning to chase the game as the visitors went on to net twice more.

Henley continued to push forward and, against the run of play, were given a penalty corner in the dying seconds of the half which led to Ed Foster slotting home to reduce the arrears to 4-2.

Mid-way through the second half the visitors increased their lead with their fifth goal of the match before Green limped off with a hamstring injury for the hosts.

Henley continued to work hard in the centre of midfield but it was the visitors who netted once more to secure the points.

HENLEY 2nds had to settle for a point from their early morning fixture at Ramgarhia 1sts despite being two goals to the good with 15 minutes of the match remaining.

Following good early pressure the visitors took the lead through Joseph. The hosts’ direct style was proving a problem for the Henley defence and after some scrappy play off the back of a short corner Ramgarhia equalised.

In the second half Henley took control of the game. Good interplay through the midfield meant the visitors enjoyed most of the possession.

A number of good opportunities was missed, but chances were being created and the visitors retook the lead through a tidy finish from Fred Newbold.

Ramgarhia’s direct style was still creating chances at the other end, but a solid performance from Bowyer ensured the lead was maintained. When Harmer reacted first to a keeper’s error to give Henley a 3-1 lead with only 15 minutes remaining it looked as if the visitors would secure all three points.

However, the hosts pulled a goal back and as the match lost its flow and shape the quality dropped and Ramgarhia equalised.

Henley 2nds: D Herbert, D Bowyer, R Woolfrey, J Measures, F Newbold, G Joseph, I Roberts, J Clarke, J Hughes-Burne, T Pollard, G Warrender, G Ruggeiro, S Hall, G Harmer.

HENLEY 3ds continued their stellar start to the season with a dramatic 4-3 victory over Ealing Lions at Jubilee Park against an aggressive and skilful side who are also battling for a position at the top of the league table.

Henley started at pace with slick and stylish hockey, battling hard to win and retain possession. The midfield of Jack Draycott, James Baker, Julian Herbert and John-Joe Cottam worked tirelessly to break down Lions’ phases of attack.

With the forwards making clever leads and working together effectively, Henley won a series of penalty corners. From these Baker scored two goals, one from a well positioned strike, and another following slick interplay with Cottam.

The match became increasingly tense with both sides playing a physical game with the umpires having to brandish cards to keep control of the match as tempers flared.

Henley managed to increase their dominance with a fine move. An incisive pass from Draycott found Tim Barrass deep in opposition territory. Barrass found Timothy Herbert, who slipped the ball to Julian Herbert in front of the goal who fired home.

At 3-0, victory for the amber and blues looked to a formality but the sharp Lions fought their way back into the match, scoring two goals from short corners to take the score to 3-2 at half time.

The visitors added another soon after the break to reach parity at 3-3, a low shot beating goalkeeper Cordrey.

Henley dug deep and reasserted their authority, playing with calm assurance and starving the visitors of possession. The defence of Rowan Austin, Tom Bodeker and Will McCreery held fast against the tiring Lions and with five minutes remaining, Henley scored another to re-establish their lead. The winner came from a move on the left through Bodeker, Draycott and Sam Brown which found Harry Wray, whose goal-bound shot was looping wide following a deflection from a defender and Barrass intercepted the deflection to guide the ball into the net.

In the dramatic finish to the match, Lions were awarded a short corner on the stroke of the final whistle. The Henley defence resisted three successive attempts by the Lions to seize the equaliser before the final whistle blew leaving Henley with their 100 per cent league record intact.

Henley 3rds: Michael Cordrey, Rowan Austin, Tom Bodeker, Will McCreery, Jack Draycott, James Baker, Julian Herbert, John-Joe Cottam, Harry Wray, Sam Brown, Tim Barrass, Timothy Herbert, Ed Newbold.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say