Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Henley let two-goal lead slip

HENLEY Ladies 1sts crashed to a 5-3 defeat at PHC Chiswick last Saturday despite taking a

HENLEY Ladies 1sts crashed to a 5-3 defeat at PHC Chiswick last Saturday despite taking a 2-0 lead.

The home side made their intentions clear from the start, with wave after wave of attacks, but with Kath Draycott at centre back holding fort, the circle was protected and they were allowed only a few attempts at goal.

Charlotte Cockerton, Billie Moore and Emma Buckham-Hedges created their own opportunities upfront for the visitors who took the lead following a short-corner routine of Kat Green disguise passing the ball to Lou England for a deflection that found its way into the goal.

End-to-end hockey continued, with rotating outside midfielders Emma Walker, Ellie Roseff and Georgie Metcalfe running shuttles down the sidelines as both teams turned the ball over quickly.

Henley’s second short-corner saw England feed the ball to Cockerton on the right-post to tip it in to make it 2-0. However, the amber and blues were unable to hold on to the lead for long and they went into half-time at 2-2.

Henley made the second half hard for themselves with poor decision-making and basic skills, gifting Chiswick with stray balls and easy turn-overs all over the pitch. Fortunately birthday girl Katie Butler, England, Jem Barham and Meg Moran plugged the centre of the pitch so that Chiswick still had to work hard to gain any ground.

Chiswick were awarded a short-corner, for which a straight strike was enough to put the hosts ahead. Chiswick followed this goal up with another soon after.

Henley retaliated, pushing Chiswick back into their own half and advancing towards the D. A precision pass from Moran found Barham on the penalty spot ready to tip through the keeper’s legs.

Defenders Sophie Hoskins and Kat Green broke down attacks and distributed the ball back up the pitch for more attempts towards goal but despite numerous short corners and goal-mouth scrambles, Henley could not get back on the score sheet. A sudden break from the Chiswick side saw them secure a fifth goal to wrap up the scoring.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say