Sunday, 24 March 2019

McAllister bags five goals to maintain side’s title push

McAllister bags five goals to maintain side’s title push

HENLEY 1sts are on the brink of relegation following last Saturday’s 6-1 home defeat against Banbury.

The amber and blues went into the game searching for their first win of the year and sitting four points from safety in the Premier Division 1 table.

Henley started strongly with captain Jonny Taylor finding success with his skills inside the Banbury D and winning short corners. The home side went close but couldn’t quite turn the chances into goals. Foster and Gupta linked up well going forward and Joyce and Hetherington were winning the battle in midfield.

Henley couldn’t turn the possession into goals and conceded two goals on the break, one being converted through a short corner flick.

In the second half several few harsh decisions later and the skipper taking a blow to the head, Henley found themselves 4-0 down due to some good Banbury finishing.

The rest of the game was open and Henley looked more dominant, with former skipper Foster beating three men down the left channel to find his successor Taylor on the far post who finished neatly past the Banbury keeper. Banbury nicked a couple more goals on the break to wrap up the scoring.

HENLEY 2nds took control of their match in the first half at Ramgarhia, eventually running out comfortable winners to maintain their promotion push.

A strong midfield quartet of Herbert, Herbert, Forester and Nield created an opening for Jean-Jean, which just went wide. The Frenchman made amends minutes later, sweeping home a gentle cross from the right.

Nield doubled the score with a near post effort while Forester made it 3-0.

The move of the match saw Nield, Measures and Woolfrey pass the ball on the left touchline before playing it to Timothy Herbert to tap in.

In the second half Moore left the field after taking a knock to his knee. As the game got more stretched, Henley continued to dominate but the Ramgarhia keeper made several fine saves.

Jean-Jean hit the post, a Dan Herbert shot hit the keeper before Tim Herbert hit the net to make it 5-0. The Henley defence and goalkeeper Bowyer put in a good shift to maintain a clean sheet.

Henley 2nds: R Woolfrey, D Bowyer, D Herbert, J Baker, J Measures, B Smith, K Neild, J Forrester, T Herbert, J Moore, T Bodeker, M Herbert, N Jean-Jean.

HENLEY 4ths came away from their trip to Newbury and Thatcham 6ths with a share of the spoils from a 3-3 draw after leading by two goals with 10 minutes of the match remaining.

The visitors started sluggishly and a scrappy sequence of tackling close to Henley’s goal resulted in the award of an early short corner for the home side and a simple straight strike slotted firmly into the bottom corner to leave the visitors trailing after just three minutes.

The score remained the same until half time largely due to Newbury’s goalkeeper’s ability to block and deflect everything Henley could throw at him.

In the second half Henley closed down Newbury’s main playmaker by Josh Barry and Max Hems began to free Henley’s forwards, Soon after Tim Cima released Andy Farrow for a snap shot to draw level.

Solid defence by Adam Warner helped prevent more opportunities and following a clearance Warner found Tim Cima who rounded the home defence and released Andy Farrow for his and Henley’s second of the match. As the game began to get stretched, Ian Rechner found space behind Newbury’s defence and drove along the base line, his shot rebounding off the home keeper into the path of Farrow who slapped the ball into the net for his and Henley’s third.

With ten minutes remaining, Henley seemed in control, but a series of three late short corners were awarded, from which Newbury were able to score twice to draw level.

Henley 4ths: D Rechner, A Warner, S Ward, I Rechner, J Williams, N Emmett, A Farrow, T Cima, J Batty, P Biggs, M Hems, M Watkins.

HENLEY 5ths put in a stellar performance at Jubilee Park against fellow title-chasing Amersham and Chalfont.

The hosts raced into a 3-0 lead within the first 20 minutes, going in front when good work from colts Danny McAllister and Toby Phillips resulted in a short corner, from which Mike McAllister hit a clean strike into the bottom left hand corner.

Henley’s second came after colts’ Fergus Heggie and Louis Poundall combined well down the right, with Poundall’s final pass leaving Mike McAllister unmarked in front of an open goal. The third came after a fien team move, which was finished off by a further colt, Eddie Williams. Henley had a chance to make it 4-0 after Mike McAllister was upended at the top of the D, but Jon Grocock’s penalty strike was well saved by the visiting keeper.

The visitors threatened to get back into the game with a penalty strike of their own, which Tom Grocock got to but couldn’t quite stop. With half-time approaching Grocock made a number of saves to keep the visitors out, including a diving block at the feet of an a home forward after a breakaway.

The second half started brightly with Mike McAllister again getting on the scoresheet through another sweetly struck penalty corner, before the visitors pulled it back to 4-2.

A third penalty corner strike from Mike McAllister reinstated the home side’s cushion. This was needed as the visitors then camped in the Henley half, forcing a series of short corners. Tom Grocock pulled off another group of saves, the best being a stop with his stick diving low down to his right.

Whilst the visitors’ pressure eventually told with them scoring their third goal, Mike McAllister had the final word, scoring his fifth after a through-ball to the top left of the D. Drawing the ball further to the left, man-of-the-match Mike McAllister rounded the keeper and tucked the ball away from a tight angle.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say