Wednesday, 12 December 2018

Barrass at the double for amber and blues

TWO strikes from Tim Barrass marked a fine comeback for Henley 3rds, who overcame a 2-0 first half deficit to defeat Bicester 2nds 4-2.

Though sporting a strong starting line-up at Jubilee Park, Henley looked lethargic and disordered from the start. Bicester took full advantage of their listless performance, fighting hard for the ball and attacking on the break with a dangerous aerial ball, resulting in two goals for the visitors.

Rallying at half-time, Henley showed good character to regain the composure and style of recent weeks and proceeded to turn the game on its head in the second half.

With every player increasing effort levels the whole team worked much more effectively as a unit as Bicester struggled to maintain possession.

The defence organised themselves to snuff out the danger of the aerial ball while Jack Draycott and James Baker dominated in the centre of midfield. The forwards hunted as a pack and put Bicester under a huge amount of pressure, both in possession and when chasing the ball. The catalyst behind Henley’s resurgence was Ian Heggie who masterminded the home side’s counterattack from right back with flair and composure.

Responsible for many of Henley’s chances, Timothy Herbert proved to be impossible for the Bicester defence to cope with, and opened the home side’s account with an interception of a long ball, followed by a neat reverse stick finish.

With Henley looking increasingly dangerous in the Bicester area and creating many opportunities, Barrass then struck at the far post twice with finishes from close range, before Baker added the fourth from a well-worked penalty corner.

The fourth goal left the visitors deflated and they were unable to manage a single shot on goal in the second half. With a fifth successive league victory, Henley remain at the top of the table.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say