Monday, 17 December 2018

Green nets hat-trick as amber and blues triumph

CHRIS GREEN netted a hat-trick as Henley defeated MBBO Regional League strugglers Old Merchant Taylors at Jubilee Park last Saturday.

CHRIS GREEN netted a hat-trick as Henley defeated MBBO Regional League strugglers Old Merchant Taylors at Jubilee Park last Saturday.

However, the hosts struggled to convert huge pressure into goals despite a number of clear-cut chances.

Henley made good use of possession by creating patterns of play down both flanks, with both Taylor and Hibberd wreaking havoc and carving swathes through the visitors’ midfield and defence.

The link play between the central midfield pairing of Measures and Foster with the forwards of Green, Woolfrey and Joseph made all the hard training ground hours worthwhile.

The early pressure resulted in a number of chances that either the visitors were able to ward off or Henley failed to put away, most notably Foster striking the upright and Herbert shooting wide after a breakaway opportunity.

The deadlock was broken after Joseph pounced on a poor clearance by the Old Merchant Taylors’ defence who squared the ball for Green to squeeze a shot inside the right post.

Early in the second half Green scored again following broken play at a penalty corner earned by Herbert’s penetrating overlapping run on the right. Henley’s inability to convert the earlier chances threatened to put their third-placed league position at risk, as they proceeded to allow the visitors into the game. Their first goal came from a rifled penalty corner and the second after confusion amongst Mortimer and Baker in the defence to make a nervy end to the game.

With time running out Green was able to grab his hat-trick and all three points for his side after he coolly shot past the visiting keeper.

Henley 1sts: R Cox, J Baker, M Woolfrey, R Mortimer, J Measures, D Herbert, C Green, J Taylor, R Hibberd, G Joseph, R Woolfrey, E Foster.

HENLEY 2nds gained revenge for their defeat earlier in the season as they ran out narrow winners away to Leighton Buzzard 1sts last Saturday.

Battling hard from the onset, Henley challenged for every ball and ran good lines all over the pitch. Striker Jeremy Hughes-Burne epitomised the hard work needed to overrun the opposition’s back line.

Several times James Wood penetrated the defence, feeding Harmer and Hughes-Burne in dangerous positions.

It was Price who struck first for the visitors. Harmer scrapping to win the ball released Price who rounded the static defence before scoring.

A nervy 10-minute spell ensued for Henley as the visitors faltered just once in the first half, allowing Leighton Buzzard to win a penalty-corner which they scored to level the match.

Henley had the upper hand in the second half as they dominated play. The Henley defence repelled any attack with ease while Wiseman showed particular strength, along with the cool-headedness of Draycott, Roberts and Price. Pollard and Wood combined well in the midfield to allow Harmer to cause trouble in the opponent’s 25.

The decisive goal eventually came when Maidlow pounced on a deflected pass to flick the ball past the diving keeper.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say