Monday, 15 October 2018

Henley have no answer to league leaders Tulse Hill

HENLEY suffered a heavy defeat at Jubilee Park on Saturday against South League Division 2 leaders Tulse Hill and Dulwich.

HENLEY suffered a heavy defeat at Jubilee Park on Saturday against South League Division 2 leaders Tulse Hill and Dulwich.

The hosts started brightly and were quick to put Tulse Hill and Dulwich under pressure, and managed to mount a number of attacks.

However, 10 minutes in, loss of possession in the midfield and a swift counterattack from the visitors saw them take a 1-0 lead with an easy tap-in on the far post.

For the next 20 minutes Henley struggled to put together any meaningful passing or mount any telling attacks.

The hosts’ defence came under mounting pressure as they failed to hold on to the ball and they were soon defending numerous short corners.

Despite good work on the line by captain Rachel Herbert, Tulse Hill eventually made a further breakthrough and went into half-time 2-0 up courtesy of a penalty stroke.

The second half only got worse for Henley when the visitors won another penalty stroke shortly after the restart, and calmly put it away to extend their lead.

Henley were down to 10 players for most of the second half after Cleo Lyn picked up her second yellow card.

With time running out Henley goalkeeper Smith fouled a Tulse Hill forward to give away another penalty stroke which was converted.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Henley Ladies 1sts travel to Southampton in the league. The following day they travel to Colchester for their quarter-final trophy encounter.

HENLEY LADIES 4ths, a mixture of youth and senior players, with some playing their first game for 12 years, pulled off an impressive 2-0 win against Thame 2nds at Jubilee Park on Saturday. The last time the two sides met in the Trysports BBO Division 5 just before Christmas, Thame ran out 9-0 winners.

With Maddy Teboe in goal and Henley’s experienced defence, Thame were thwarted time and time again.

The hosts took each attack on their goal as an opportunity to build an attacking position.

The game was tough and hard-fought with Carmen Austin Hawks and Georgina Evans holding their ground as play went from end to end with both sides creating opportunities.

Early in the second half Henley had a shot on goal that was stopped on the line by a Thame foot. Catherine Brown scored from the resulting penalty flick to put the hosts in front.

Thame hit back as Henley’s defence soaked up the pressure with Alex Baker, Helen Clarke and Caz Horsley combining well for the home side.

Evans and Austin Hawks combined well in the dying moments of the game with the ball eventually being fed through to Erica Denham who in turn released it to Esme Emmett.

Emmett weaved her way through Thame’s defence and fired in a shot that rebounded off the crossbar before she tapped home the rebound to secure the win.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say