Wednesday, 12 December 2018

Green’s double helps side maintain promotion push

HENLEY LADIES 1sts suffered a heavy defeat away to local rivals Wycombe in Division 2 of the South League last

HENLEY LADIES 1sts suffered a heavy defeat away to local rivals Wycombe in Division 2 of the South League last Saturday.

Henley, who were missing influential defender Mel Lennard, started badly and gave away possession too easily to allow Wycombe an opportunity to run at the Henley defence and create havoc. This the hosts did to take a comfortable 4-0 half-time lead.

A better second half saw Henley mount some attack, but it also left them overexposed at the back.

Despite a consolation goal from Jenny Buckham, Wycombe netted twice more to run out 6-1 winners.

HENLEY LADIES 2nds maintained their push for promotion as they chalked up their sixth straight win against Wycombe 3rds on Saturday at the Bisham Abbey National Hockey Centre.

Henley took control of the game early on and netted their first goal from a short corner straight strike by Kat Green.

The second goal of the half came following a fine solo run from Caz Shaw from the middle of the pitch who ran towards the Wycombe goal and squared to Hannah Jeremy to tap home.

The second 35 minutes was played much in Henley’s attacking half but it wasn’t until towards the final whistle that they were able to add to their goal tally.

Another short corner routine allowed Green to pick up the ball and drive towards goal, slotting home past the keeper at the last moment.

TOP-OF-THE-TABLE Thame completed a league double over Henley at Jubilee Park last Saturday. Henley started slowly and Thame had most of the possession and numerous short corners but were denied by Nicky Hardy in the home goal.

As time went by Henley pressed higher up the pitch and were unlucky not to score first when Roseff’s shot was cleared off the line.

Thame quickly broke away to take the lead just before the interval.

In the second half Henley fought tirelessly for an equaliser and good running down the wings by White, Drummond and Hansen provided continuous service to the forward line but no goal was converted.

Once again Thame broke from a Henley attack and managed to get a shot on target. Keeper Hardy had it covered but a deflection sent the ball into the back of the net.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say