Friday, 14 December 2018

Surbiton hit back to take points at Jubilee Park

HENLEY Ladies suffered their second consecutive league defeat of the season when they went down 5-2 at home to newly

HENLEY Ladies suffered their second consecutive league defeat of the season when they went down 5-2 at home to newly promoted Surbiton 2nds at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

Henley started brightly with good passages of play, particularly down the right wing.

One move led to a goal by youngster Kiera Halloran when the ball was driven down the right and to the baseline by Cleo Lyn. It was then fired across to Halloran, who calmly slotted past the keeper into the Surbiton goal.

Despite it being a good Henley performance, Surbiton were the more clinical finishers and at half-time the visitors had taken a 3-1 lead.

The second half continued to be a tight contest. Henley gained a short corner and after a smooth injection and stop, captain Rachel Herbert hit the ball with such force that it was unable to be saved by the Surbiton keeper and deflected in off her pads.

However, this goal was not enough and Surbiton were able to add two more goals of their own to run out comfortable winners.

NEWLY-PROMOTED Henley Ladies 2nds lost out away to a strong and experienced Bracknell side last Saturday.

The visitors managed to soak up long periods of pressure with solid defensive play and fine goalkeeping from Hannah Lavis kept the score down to just 1-0 at the break.

The second half saw more of the same with Bracknell scoring a further three goals.

Henley kept plugging away until the final whistle and were rewarded with a late consolation goal from Harris just seconds from the end.

HENLEY Ladies 3rds went down to a 3-1 defeat away to newly-promoted Wychwood 1sts on Saturday.

Wychwood had most of the possession for the first quarter with their midfield pushing up and swiftly passing linking with their forwards. Henley’s defence were being stretched wide with Wychwood’s players finding space to move into. Henley’s midfield were often caught by the counterattack after their breakaway was thwarted.

Eventually Henley began to link up and push high. Pressure mounting in the opposition’s defence broke down and with some quick passing Wychwood counterattacked leaving Henley’s defence outnumbered. This led to the first goal which was slotted home with Nicky Hardy trying to cover the goal and the free player wrong footed.

Wychwood quickly added to their goal with another quick break that was rounded off with an individual effort by the centre forward who beat numerous players before shooting from a narrow angle.

In the second half Henley held possession and began to challenge and dominate the match. A short corner was awarded following the running and dictating of attacks by player-of-the-match Karen Roseff, but her effort was cleared off the line by a defender.

Another short corner for Roseff resulted in her delivering a pass which was invitingly put away by last season’s top scorer Di Wise.

With Henley in the ascendancy Wychwood began to withdraw into their half. With more and more pressure being put on the opposition’s defence it looked like Henley would score the equaliser. However, with the team mostly out of position, another quick break from the Wychwood attackers resulted in a contested short corner being awarded which was executed.

Henley Ladies 3rds: Nicky Hardy, Kate Forster, Di Wise, Steph Barnes, Emily White, Vicky Smith, Tash Livanis, Rhea Simister, Sophie Ashton, Kate Ashby, Sarah Evans, Karen Roseff, Sarah Drummond.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say