Friday, 14 December 2018

Amersham and Chalfont ease to victory

CLINICAL finishing in a physical encounter proved decisive as newly-promoted Henley 2nds went down to a 6-0 defeat at home

CLINICAL finishing in a physical encounter proved decisive as newly-promoted Henley 2nds went down to a 6-0 defeat at home to Amersham and Chalfont 1sts at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

Henley started well and dominated the first five minutes where they won their only short corner of the game.

The hosts were unable to convert this and the possession was soon dominated by the opposition who quickly scored their opener.

A second soon followed but Henley fought hard throughout until the half-time whistle.

The second half proved more exhausting for Henley and a dominant five minute period for Amersham and Chalfont saw three further goals conceded and the game gone from Henley.

Defender Sophy Rogers was named player-of-the-match for the hosts but the defence was unable to resist a sixth well taken goal. With much to work on the Henley 2nd XI look forward to midweek training and an away fixture against Oxford University.

HENLEY Ladies 3rds slipped to a 4-1 defeat at home to Oxford Hawks 2nds on Saturday.

Henley started the game slowly continuing on with the restructured formation utilised well in the second half of last week’s game. Within 10 minutes the the hosts were 3-0 down. The first goal came after a break down the right resulted in a defence splitting pass across the circle to be swiftly converted.

The second came from a short corner routine which was played around the defence to the far side of the goal for a conversion while the third again came down the right with an individual piece of skill resulting in a shot curling in off the keeper’s pads. Henley then began to play with more possession and some accurate play resulting in some attacks.

Hannah Rigby, returning to action, was named player-of-the-match for her constant pressure, breaking up numerous attacks and setting up counterattacks.

Possession became more even as play opened up. Henley won their first short corner of the game just before half-time. Brown pushed the ball out to White who beat a defender before striking. The shot beat one defender and found Brown who was covering the post who bounced the ball over the remaining defence to pull a goal back for the hosts.

Henley continued with the pressure in the second half resulting in a short corner. With Brown pushing out the defence were slow leaving a shot skimming the post.

Henley continued with the pressure mounting and the defence having the opportunity to push high to support the attack.

A short corner for Oxford was converted off a defender’s stick to complete the scoreline.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say