Tuesday, 18 December 2018

Side claims first ever national league scalp

HENLEY 1sts progressed to the third round of the HA Cup after defeating National League side

HENLEY 1sts progressed to the third round of the HA Cup after defeating National League side Southgate at Jubilee Park on Sunday.

The hosts, without five regular first team players, started the game under pressure with Southgate benefiting from not playing the previous day.

A lot of fast paced hockey found the Henley defence stretched and the ball was bundled over the line to put Southgate 1-0 up.

A quarter of an hour into the game Henley started to show more promising signs as skipper Ed Foster found Taylor at the edge of the D who dispatched the ball into the corner of the net.

A further goal from both sides before half-time following some quick stick skills from Southgate and a Chris Green reverse stick saw the teams go into the break at 2-2. The second half started well for the hosts with a goal from back to front with Joyce, Foster and Hibberd combining down the right for Green to deflect the ball over the keeper.

The momentum for Henley continued over the next 10 minutes with good chances falling to striker Richard Woolfrey who was unable to connect with the ball on either occasion.

Man-of-the-match Benji Hetherington, back for his second stint at Henley, was fighting hard in midfield, giving no time for the Southgate players and creating chances going forward.

Further good play down the left from Foster released Taylor on the by-line who played the ball back to Tom Walter who shot through a number of players, making it to the edge of the post where Taylor finished potently.

With 10 minutes to go and 4-2 down, Southgate were piling on the pressure, keeper Ray Cox was getting in the way regularly and some big tackles from Robbie Mortimer and debutant Rob Rowe kept them out until a reverse stick strike on the run saw Southgate pull one back.

Southgate then had a short corner after the full time whistle but failed to convert and Henley had their first ever win over a National League side.

Henley’s reward in the next round of the competition is a trip to Peterborough on November 15.

HENLEY 1sts went down to their third successive league defeat at home to Havant last Saturday.

The opening exchanges were even with chances coming at both ends. Henley goalkeeper Roy Cox reacted well to keep out a couple of sharp drag flicks from Havant’s potent flicker.

There was nothing Henley could do to keep out a hard low flick to move make it 1-0 to Havant. Henley managed to keep themselves well in the game, entering the opposition D on a number of occasions, but two more Havant goals in the five minutes either side of half-time left the score at 3-0, and an injury to midfielder Mani Kochar left the home team with a steep chase.

A goal from Geoff Joseph gave Henley a bit of hope in the second half but two more goals for Havant sealed the victory.

HENLEY 3rds lost out by the odd goal in nine despite a valiant fight back at Jubilee Park last Saturday against a Reading University side that never had a keeper.

Reading started brightly and took the lead when they won a short corner, which resulted in a looping shot that deceived the Henley defence and goalkeeper.

Henley bounced back shortly after, with Rupert Wiseman breaking away before squaring it to Tim Barrass who had two chances at an open net and the second he converted calmly.

With the extra man the University side were able to overpower Henley with their higher levels of fitness. They scored three more goals before the break — two shots from the top of the D and a deflection, which deceived Henley keeper Bobby Boydell to make it 4-1 at half-time.

In the second half Henley changed their game plan from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2. Shortly after the restart Henley were able to grab a comeback goal as Barrass broke away down the right and after beating the defence passed it to debutant Will Gresswell who converted. Soon after the Henley attack produced a move of similar stature, this time Wiseman broke away before Gresswell was able to grab his second of the game to reduce the arrears to 4-3.

Reading were then awarded a short corner, which was flicked into the top left just past the stick of the Henley goalkeeper.

Henley hit back when Rowan Austin played a ball in behind the defence to the onrushing Ewan Watkins who squared to Tim Herbert for Henley’s fourth goal of the game.

Henley 3rds: Bobby Boydell, Tony Conway Hughes, Mike Cordrey, Rowan Austin, Dan Austin, James Rechner, Ian Rechner, Ewan Watkins, Jules Herbert, Will Gresswell, Tim Herbert, Tim Barrass, Rupert Wiseman.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say