Friday, 14 December 2018

Gupta goal proves decisive

A LUKE GUPTA goal was enough for Henley to see off second-from-bottom Lewes at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

A LUKE GUPTA goal was enough for Henley to see off second-from-bottom Lewes at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

The game was marked with a two minute silence for 22-year-old Tom Wilson who lost his life in a tragic accident training with his club Old Loughtonians, Essex, on Tuesday evening.

Henley started the the brighter of the two sides with Chris Green and Ross Hibberd both going close but both failing to trouble the keeper.

Lewes grew into the game but never troubled the home side and it was left to Gupta to take the initiative slotting home for Henley to take the lead on 20 minutes. Henley were forced into a change when Rob Rowe picked up an injury and was replaced by David Ralph.

The second half began in similar fashion. In front of the visitors’ goal Gupta, Hibberd, Green and Walter all missed chances while only captain Ed Foster forced the Lewes keeper into making some good saves. Benji Hetherington and Rhys Joyce controlled the midfield with some good play, as Henley looked dangerous.

As the half wore on Lewes began to see more of the ball. Henley then went down to 10 men with Rhys Joyce sent off for five minutes and Lewes were then able to force a number of short corners. The hosts were briefly reduced to nine players as Hetherington followed Joyce on the side-lines, but Henley goalkeeper Roy Cox continued to keep his side in the game showing agility and fine reflexes.

Cox looked to have been beaten on the ninth successive short corner but Foster was on hand to stop the ball on the line. However, in doing so it rolled onto his foot and the umpires were left with no option but to award a penalty flick which was saved by Cox.

HENLEY 3rds triumphed in a hard fought game against local rivals Sonning on Saturday.

Early in the first half Henley won a short corner which James Baker converted into the bottom corner of the net to give his side the lead.

Henley continued to pile on the pressure as the game began to get heated. Henley won another short corner which, after a quick slip, saw Tim Barrass convert.

In the second half the Henley defence was finally penetrated as keeper Bobby Boydell was finally beaten following a good run and shot by Sonning.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say