Sunday, 21 October 2018

Henley blown away by Old Georgians’ second half display

HENLEY went down to a 6-2 defeat away to Old Georgians last Saturday

HENLEY went down to a 6-2 defeat away to Old Georgians last Saturday.

The visitors took the lead through Jonny Taylor, who latched on to the end of a flowing Henley attack.

Henley almost doubled their lead when Hibberd scurried down the baseline to pull back to Walter to drag wide his first open goal miss of the day.

Soon after the hosts started to gain momentum and levelled shortly after. Henley again took the lead, Luke Gupta finishing off a good team counter attack. However, the hosts equalised once again just before half-time. The second half saw the game run away from Henley. Old Georgians started to spray the ball around with confidence and managed to firstly take and then extend their lead.

In a lively close to the match the hosts had a player yellow carded after a rash tackle on Rob Rowe seeing him take a blow to the head. Moments later Joyce was also given a yellow card following a mistimed challenge. The host then went on to add two further goals as they ran out 6-2 winners.

HENLEY 4ths recorded their second consecutive high scoring win in the second half of the season as they thrashed local rivals Sonning 7ths at Jubilee Park.

Early in the game Alan Mortimer and James Lane made promising attacks on goal but the Sonning keeper stood strong to keep the hosts at bay.

Shortly after Ewan Watkins made a strong run round the defence and squared the ball to Neil Emmett who tucked it away but the goal was disallowed for a Henley infringement.

After this setback the Henley side bounced back and new man Tim Cima looked impressive on his debut as he scored a goal with a shot from the top of the D following good attacking run from Harry Wray. Henley increased their lead early in the second half as Neil Emmett converted with a reverse stick shot at the far post. Soon after Cima netted his second of the match with a shot from inside the area.

With minutes to go Watkins squared the ball to Rupert Wiseman who got himself on the score sheet with a pinpoint shot into the bottom left of the net.

Henley are now well positioned for a push at consecutive promotions, a few points behind the leaders but with a game in hand and the added bonus of playing all the top-of-the-table games at home in this second half of the season.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say