Tuesday, 18 December 2018

Onslaught leaves Henley reeling

HENLEY’S lack of substitutes played a large part in their heavy defeat away to Havant last Saturday.

HENLEY’S lack of substitutes played a large part in their heavy defeat away to Havant last Saturday.

On the day Henley, missing several key players, had just one replacement while the hosts had four and this told in the second half.

Henley started brightly but went behind to an own goal by Ed Hughes-Burne who turned the ball in past Roy Cox in goal. Henley continued to trade attacks and counterattacks and were soon creating chances of their own, at the right end of the field, through neat interplay of captain Ed Foster and midfielders Hetherington and Joyce, and good lead running of the forward line.

The visitors levelled the score when their man-of-the-match Chris Green reverse hit the ball home. Despite some solid defending from Rowe, Mortimer and Hughes-Burne, Havant restored their lead with a fortunate goal being deflected at chest height past Cox. Green then added a second for Henley in similar fashion to level the scores once more.

The remainder of the half was evenly balanced with both sides creating chances. Havant added a third just before the half-time break.

In the second half the hosts used their substitutes to the full as they stretched the game and rattled in six goals, mostly from corners, to complete the scoreline.

HENLEY 4ths ran out narrow winners in their friendly match with Phoenix last Saturday. Henley played a game of role reversal as the defence became attack and attack became defence. This gamble seemed to pay off as the new forwards put together a string of passes before White slammed the ball home from the top of the D for Henley.

The silky passing of the forwards made another chance, which Jon Williams scrambled home from close range. The makeshift defence then conceded a goal. Henley bounced back within moments as White made another fierce shot, which rebounded off of the goalkeeper and was slapped in by Nigel Pike. Shortly after the Phoenix team got one back, Ewan Watkins made it 4-2 with a shot from the top of the Phoenix D.

In the second half Henley conceded a third goal and despite promising runs from Phil Biggs and James Lane the forwards started to tire and couldn’t get any more goals.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say