THE name Remenham is thought to come from the old English words reoma and ham and means a homestead or an enclosure by the riverbank.
Remenham village is a small collection of buildings, principally St Nicholas’ Church and rectory, a village hall, Remenham Farm, the site of the former manor house and the former school. Parts of the moat of the original manor house remain. Sir Edmund Montfort owned it during the reigns of Edward IV and Richard III. A lane from the church provides public access to the river.
Remenham church dates back to the 13th century. A number of large houses are to be found in the area. Along Remenham Lane, which runs parallel to the river, Remenham Court (formerly Remenham Lodge) and Matson House (formerly Wilminster Park) command good views over the River Thames. On the eastern side of Remenham Lane is the site of the former Henley Cricket and Lawn Tennis Clubs.
The cricket ground may date back to the 18th century. In Emily Climenson’s Guide to Henley (published 1896), Henley Cricket Club played matches on Wednesdays and Saturdays from May to October. Membership of the cricket club cost £1 1s (£1.05) per annum. The keeper of the ground at this time was George Eustace.
The Henley Town Cricket Club was formed in 1886 and played on land behind the Little Angel, owned by Brakspear’s Brewery. In 1896 annual membership was 10s (50p) and the club had almost 100 honorary and playing members. Upwards of 30 matches were played annually during the cricket season.