Monday, 15 August 2022

Turner prize hat-trick helps Hurricanes storm to victory

JOE Turner netted a hat-trick for AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U10s as they continued their winning run

JOE Turner netted a hat-trick for AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U10s as they continued their winning run to the season against newly promoted FINCHAMPSTEAD U10s last Saturday in the East Berks League.

The first quarter started brightly for the visitors and Ben Horner was called into action early on as he dealt cleanly with everything thrown at him.

The hosts made the early breakthrough after a tackle by Finnbar Scott set up Turner who made no mistake from seven yards out.

Captain Tom Atkinson led from the back and made a number of crucial tackles and blocks as the Hurricanes went into a tight first quarter break a goal up.

The second quarter started well for the Hurricanes as Tom Bonser found Tom Yeoman in space and he evaded a couple of tackles to double the lead. Soon after Sam Winters went close to extending his side’s lead.

The third quarter saw the home team stretch their lead as Nicolai Bruun-Andersen slipped a through ball to Turner who ran on to it and buried it past the keeper. A lapse in concentration allowed Finchampstead a foothold back into the game as they made it 3-1 but it was to prove a temporary respite for the visitors as the Hurricanes scored the goal of the game.

After a Hurricanes corner the ball was cleared to Bruun-Andersen and he made a 20 yard pass to Scott wide on the left. Scott floated the ball into the Finch penalty box to Turner who showed quick feet to volley past the visiting keeper.

At the start of the fourth quarter Luca Thomson got on the scoresheet as he volleyed home from the edge of the area following a half cleared corner. Finch refused to lie down and scored again but it was Thomson who had the last word as he scored again to complete the third consecutive win for the Hurricanes.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U12s went down in a 6-1 defeat away to FINCHAMPSTEAD FUSION U12s.

Early Fusion dominance was rewarded after less than five minutes, when a slick move down the left wing concluded with a low cross converted by the home side’s centre forward. Luke Morgan, Archie Smith and Seb van Duijn repelled numerous Finchampstead attacks before the ball broke fortuitously on the edge of the box for the home side’s right back to hammer home.

At 2-0 down with less than 10 minutes played it would have been easy for heads to drop in the Hurricanes side, but they upped their effort and began to establish a foothold in the game, Max Jelovitz hunting down the ball and winning tackle after tackle in midfield and Danny McAllister using the ball intelligently to pick out his wide players.

Will Thompson on the right and Oliver Shute on the left made some strong runs to push Finchampstead back and from one such run, a crisp shot from Olly Roullier drew a good save from the home keeper.

The half ended with a converted penalty for Fusion, leaving the Hurricanes 3-0 down at the break.

The second half saw the Hurricanes play some good football, Sonny Munro providing a strong focal point in attack and linking well with Tyler Chidwick and Olly Lewis who were making good forward runs.

However, a headed goal direct from a corner saw Finchampstead pull further ahead. The Hurricanes finally got the reward their performance deserved when Max Jelovitz smashed a free kick into the roof of the net to cap a tireless display.

With Finchampstead having a man sent off soon after, the Hurricanes sensed an unlikely comeback but two late goals against the run of play wrapped up the scoring.

More News:

POLL: Have your say