Friday, 19 August 2022

Six scores submerge Supermarine

HENLEY Hawks Women ran in six tries to run out winners against Swindon Supermarine on Sunday.

HENLEY Hawks Women ran in six tries to run out winners against Swindon Supermarine on Sunday.

As a result of waterlogged pitches at the Swindon ground the game was switched to Dry Leas, with the return fixture now being played on April 14.

Supermarine arrived with a full squad packed with height and size while Henley in comparison were smaller but had a distinct advantage in both pace and speed of thought.

It was a combination of this that brought about the maiden try for Wysocki-Jones in the lefthand corner. After a good set of phases Scott came in off her wing to be stopped just short but with the second row on hand to drive over.

Supermarine were starting to gain control of possession and territory, retained the ball well and using their influential number eight Chard more and more. This resulted in a penalty in front of the post which was converted.

The Hawks took their opportunities well and scored next through an individual break from Forbes and another drive to the line from Dudding who converted one of the two to make it 19-3.

The visitors continued to hammer away with their sizable centres and back row but the Hawks were standing firm. With possession now 70 per cent in favour of the visitors, an opportunity for the Hawks to keep the ball saw Solowin cut a fine angle and strength to touch down for to make the half-time score 22-3.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was played in the Hawks half but both sides were allowing penalties to creep in.

A yellow card was shown to Sear, the visitors’ scrum half before solid defending led by Ferguson, Simpson and Mckenzie halted the flow of attacks and penalties.

It was down to Atkinson’s pace to open up play and from on her own 22 broke clear to put a well-timed pass into the hands of Hearn on a supporting run.

Henley then enjoyed more of the ball and continued to look dangerous every time they attacked.

Supermarine pressed again and Forbes found herself having a 10-minute break for an alleged penalty on her own five metre line.

With a massive defensive effort taking its toll, Hearn departed with a blow to the head along with Beaumont to allow free legs to be introduced. This saw the return of Anderson-Easy from a broken ankle and new recruit Tivey who impressed.

It just left Atkinson, now back in her old position of fullback, to produce a solo effort from deep in her half to wrap up a fine performance.

The women now have two games left with the final re-arranged match to be played at home versus London Welsh on a date still to be confirmed.

More News:

Council trio

THREE new people have been elected to Goring ... [more]


Genie appeal

A DIGITAL community alert service for Goring is ... [more]


Injured owl

AN injured owl stranded in the middle of a road ... [more]


POLL: Have your say