Friday, 19 August 2022

Scott’s late try caps off memorable comeback for Hawks

HENLEY HAWKS WOMEN came from 24-7 down at half-time to defeat London Welsh and finish second in the Championship South

HENLEY HAWKS WOMEN came from 24-7 down at half-time to defeat London Welsh and finish second in the Championship South West Division 2 table on Sunday.

Earlier in the season the Hawks lost in the last five minutes at Kew to London Welsh.

London Welsh have a hard running physical style and their back row, led by their number eight were causing Henley problems with strong runs and stealing possession at the breakdown. Despite a positive start the Hawks were struggling to get any ball and the first try went to the London side. Henley hit back soon after with Carr going under the posts and Dudding’s conversion.

Welsh continued to off-load well and were winning the contract area on both sides of the ball. This was causing problems with the defensive line and the penalties were mounting. With both sides having players in the bin, it was Welsh who took advantage. Their dominance at the breakdown allowed them to run in three more tries and two conversions. For the first time this season Henley found themselves down 24-7 at the half.

Not long after the restart Henley made several changes and this was the spark that allowed the flowing rugby seen all season to shine through. It was not long before the Hawks were building pressure to allow Dudding to breach the London side’s line and slip the ball to Miller under the posts. Dudding scored the conversion.

Welsh now on the back foot struggled to contain the runs of Scott, Wysocki-Jones and Wheeler. Momentum had shifted to the home side. Hearn finished off some fine build-up play to make it 14-24.

The Hawks were really turning the screw. Atkinson was now stealing ball at the tackle area, whilst Forbes was enjoying the extra space to move the ball. This allowed further runs from Carr and Solowin outside to split the Welsh defence. It was all Henley and a well worked tap and go saw Atkinson finish off in the corner to level the scores at 24-24 with 10 minutes remaining.

Another break saw Scott agonisingly held up over the line. However, a further attack put Scott in to make it 29-24.

A tense last few minutes ensued but the strong defence seen all season held out to complete the comeback.

More News:

Council trio

THREE new people have been elected to Goring ... [more]


Genie appeal

A DIGITAL community alert service for Goring is ... [more]


Injured owl

AN injured owl stranded in the middle of a road ... [more]


POLL: Have your say