Sunday, 14 August 2022

Green fires home treble

HENLEY stayed top of South Hockey League’s Division 2 table following a 10-1 demolition of Barnes at Jubilee Park on

HENLEY stayed top of South Hockey League’s Division 2 table following a 10-1 demolition of Barnes at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

In the opening half of the match Henley dominated proceedings and went 4-0 up within the first 35 minutes with Tony Gaze, Rhys Joyce, Richard Woolfrey and Chris Green all on target following good flowing hockey from the home side, with David Ralph controlling the game from midfield.

In the second half Henley captain Ed Foster scored twice in five minutes to all but end the match as a contest, followed by Green’s second and third goals of the day to make the score 8-0 with 15 minutes to play.

Whilst the home side were busy celebrating Green’s third goal, Barnes scored a neatly taken consolation goal as keeper Roy Cox was beaten by an astute close range finish.

The home side wrapped up the victory with two late goals by Jonny Taylor and a volleyed finish by Jody Measures.

As the final whistle sounded Ed Foster had the chance to complete a hat-trick but his drag flick was acrobatically saved by the Barnes goalkeeper.

Henley 1sts 10, Barnes 1sts 1

A LAST-MINUTE Chris Maidlow goal ensured Henley a share of the spoils in their county clash at Wallingford on Saturday.

With barely a minute on the clock Henley turned over possession in the middle of the park, broke down the right and squared the ball in for Chris Maidlow to stretch and put the visitors ahead.

Henley enjoyed a decent spell of possession in the immediate aftermath of the goal but could not extend the lead as the home side gradually found their feet and put more pressure on the visiting defence of Matt Herbert, Jeremy Clarke and Ian Roberts. As the half wore on the hosts ran through the middle resulting in an equaliser.

Henley responded well and piled on the pressure for the last five minutes of the half, regaining the lead just before half-time.

More persistent battling in the middle from the central pairing of Terry Pollard and Dan Herbert won possession for Henley, culminating in a neat one-two between Pollard and Fred Newbold for Pollard to make it 2-1.

The second half resumed in frustrating fashion for Henley with the home side on the front foot as they netted twice to take a 3-2 lead. Henley battled back and earned a series of short corners, one of which travelling a little wider than planned was turned back across goal by Geoff Joseph for Roberts to strike into the bottom left corner to level the match.

The rest of the half played out in the same to and fro fashion, with chances being created at both ends.

Wallingford looked to have snatched the win with only a few minutes remaining with a quick breakaway goal but there was still time for Henley to draw level once again with a quick attack of their own. Roberts and Maidlow were overlapping on the left hand side before Maidlow found Joseph in the D who turned sharply and fired across into the far corner to make it 4-4 and secure a point for the visitors.

Wallingford 2nds 4, Henley 2nds 4

HENLEY 3rds opened the second half of the season with victory over Witney 2nds at Jubilee Park on Saturday.

In cold conditions the game started briskly with both teams playing an attacking style of hockey. Witney looked dangerous with the direct ball through the centre and making regular use of the aerial route, but Henley quickly adapted to this approach with the Austin brothers commanding the centre of the defence for the home side and veteran midfielders Julian Herbert and Richard Owen taking control of the midfield.

The home side transferred the ball across the field quickly, building attacks with patience and playing an increasingly expansive formula of the game. After a well-executed move Liam Peachey opened the scoring for Henley with a composed finish following good play down the left.

Henley started to command the game, pressing hard and harrying to win possession, moving the ball quickly across the field to open space for skilful players to attack the Witney defence.

The home side looked dangerous through both flanks, Tony Conway-Hughes and Liam Peachey working effectively on the left and Mike Woolfrey providing a solid and reliable platform for attacking moves on the right with Ed Newbold.

Up front Timothy Herbert, Sam Brown and Ian Heggie all looked dangerous, attacking incisively with pace when necessary and holding the ball when required to either win penalty corners or work with midfielders to find opportunities to shoot on goal.

The hosts increased thier lead when Heggie calmly slotted home before Richard Owen converted a well-worked short corner to put Henley to 3-0 up at half-time.

Though Witney were shell-shocked by the scoreline at the interval they picked themselves up and put pressure on the home side after the break. A defensive lapse gifted the Witney centre half a shot from a wide angle which beat goalkeeper Dave Bowyer to reduce the score to 3-1. Woolfrey quickly helped Henley reassert dominance scoring from a well-executed short-corner routine.

Witney swiftly snatched another goal back through another shot unleashed from the edge of the area, the centre half again allowed to muscle through the defensive line. However Brown pounced upon a short corner rebound to take the score to 5-2, with Henley closing out calmly to the final whistle.

Henley 3rds 5, Witney 2nds 2

More News:

POLL: Have your say