Saturday, 05 December 2020

10 years ago

10 YEARS AGO: July 4, 2003

10 YEARS AGO: July 4, 2003

HENLEY Town Council obtained planning permission to build a BMX track at Marsh Meadows this week. In January last year, the council bulldozed a track in Watermans Spinney which bikers had built themselves and in February this year a track in Nettlebed was flattened. The new track, measuring 61m by 16m will be built on a gravel base at the Triangle off Mill Lane.

Gillotts School in Henley has been awarded specialist status for maths and computing. Deputy headteacher Richard Kennel said he was delighted with the award, which will mean additional funding for hi-tech equipment.

A shop window fit for a princess won the Henley summer window display competition for the Auvergne womenswear store. Manager Doreen Hamilton-Green won a jeroboam of Veuve Clicquot champagne, a perpetual silver rose bowl donated by Abbey National and a cheque for £100 for her detailed and enticing display. Mrs Hamilton-Green said: “I am absolutely delighted. I have entered this competition every year for 16 years and now I am retiring, so this is a good time to win.”

25 YEARS AGO: July 1, 1988

THERE was controversy on the opening day of Henley Royal Regatta as a Cambridge crew pulled out of the Thames Challenge Cup. Rob Roy’s withdrawal was forced by an official complaint by a rival unnamed crew to the management committee on Tuesday evening. It was alleged the crew of eight were over-qualified under the new points system introduced by the Amateur Rowing Association this season and therefore not eligible to compete in the race.

Short skirts may be all the rage this summer but at Henley Royal Regatta they are most definitely out. Women wearing outfits above the knee are in danger of being refused entry to the stewards’ enclosure and even if they do manage to slip through, there are watchful security guards inside the enclosure to ask them to leave.

The scent of summer flowers and the sound of singing filled Shiplake church over the weekend as the 825th anniversary of its consecration was celebrated with a special festival, replacing the usual summer fete. On Saturday, the hundreds of visitors were entertained by the church choir and Shiplake handbell ringers.

50 YEARS AGO: July 5, 1963

NETTLEBED Parish Council met on Friday to discuss a planning application by Col Peter Fleming for a doctor’s surgery and flat behind the village hall. This was the first time an application had been considered by the council since Oxfordshire County Council gave all parish councils a say in planning matters in April. Opening the debate, the chairman Mr H Butler said that although this seemed a good site for a surgery some people were worried that car parking would cause congestion.

Apart from a few spots of rain on Wednesday and a heavy storm at lunchtime on Thursday, weather for Henley Royal Regatta’s first two days remained fine but a contrary wind and a fairly strong stream have been all against fast times. The majority of races produced unexciting finishes.

A 12-year-old Henley Grammar School pupil was detained in Battle Hospital, Reading, with a crushed left foot after attempting to board a moving coach. It happened in Deanfield Avenue at about 4.20pm on Tuesday when Peter Foster, of Woodcote Way, Caversham, and other pupils were getting on the school coach as it was reversing and about to stop.

100 YEARS AGO: July 4, 1913

IDEAL weather conditions favoured the opening day of Henley Royal Regatta and the enthusiasts who rose with the lark on Wednesday with the laudable desire of being early on the scene must have derived considerable satisfaction from their first glance at the heavens. There were no lowering clouds to dishearten or depress them and the sun’s rays were sufficiently warm and genial to justify the use by the majority of ladies of a parasol.

From a rowing point of view, the regatta has proved very successful. The quantity is right with the entry equalling the previous record. Good times were recorded in the first two days of racing and the competition has been very keen with one dead heat.

An inquest was held on the body of Mark Hawkes, a waterman, who was found drowned near Bolney Court on Wednesday morning. Annie Points said that the deceased lodged at her mother’s house in Queen Street. On Sunday morning, the deceased had a cup of cocoa and went out. Dr Dakin said he found a wound about four and a half inches long on his scalp, probably caused by a passing boat. The jury returned a verdict of “found drowned”.

More News:

POLL: Have your say