Thursday, 15 November 2018

50 years ago

A FIRE was started accidentally in a classroom at Wargrave Piggott secondary modern school on Thursday

A FIRE was started accidentally in a classroom at Wargrave Piggott secondary modern school on Thursday last week when some petrol was spilt. A pupil who tried to quench the flames was taken to Battle Hospital with burns. The accident proved a most valuable exercise for the 450 pupils who had assembled outside within two minutes of the alarm sounding in an atmosphere free from panic.

At one of the best attended Nettlebed parish meetings for some years, the village was told that the parish council’s efforts to get a bypass favourably considered had met with negative results. A letter from the Ministry of Transport that was read out at the meeting stated: “A possible bypass has not been given detailed consideration yet. A small bypass would not be practicable.”

Members of the artisan section of Huntercombe Golf Club made a presentation of a commemorative tankard to Thomas Streak, who has just completed 50 years as a greenkeeper. The presentation to Mr Streak, of Hayden Lane, Nuffield, was made by Mr F C Duke, honorary secretary of the section, at the Crown Inn.





More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death
 

POLL: Have your say