10:50AM, Thursday 19 February 2026
7.54pm: Thames Valley Police has released an update stating that the arrested man has now been 'released under investigation'.
"We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded," the force added in its statement on social media.
The King has said ‘the law must take its course’ following the news that his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police released a statement this morning (Thursday), which did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, but confirmed a ’a man in his sixties from Norfolk’ had been arrested and searches were being carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
He remains in custody.
The former Prince Andrew, who turns 66 today, had recently moved out of Royal Lodge in Windsor to the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk after being stripped of his titles and served with a formal notice to surrender the lease to his Berkshire residence by King Charles III.
Mountbatten-Windsor has faced intense scrutiny over his association with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and allegations he shared confidential information while serving as a trade envoy, which emerged following the release of the Epstein files by the US Department of Justice.
He has previously denied any wrongdoing.
Following the arrest, King Charles said in a statement: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said: "We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Most read
Top Articles
A MAN from Henley was arrested on suspicion of murder on Sunday after a man was seriously injured in Dorset and later died in hospital.
Flood warnings are in place on stretches of the River Thames following a period of heavy rainfall.
A VILLAGE near Henley is suffering ongoing issues with potholes, reminiscent of a “third-world country”.